BOUND function on 1D shape

Started by RhesusMinus, February 13, 2011, 06:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhesusMinus

Hi.

I'm kinda getting stuff now, but still got some questions.

I'm going to create lots of 1D shapes. However.. I need to use the BOUND function to "lock" the valid widhts of the shape. So.. I use the BOUND function in the EndX cell.

However.. I need to be able to use the same shape vertically as well. As it is now, I can't event rotate it because of it's BOUND function in the EndX cell.

Any ideas on how I can make a 1D shape that has a BOUND width, while it can be used in all angles?

THL

aledlund

I'm confused. Is there a reason for using the bound on the endx instead of the width, which is what you said you wanted to control?
al

wapperdude

Behavior of 1D shape is significantly different than 2D shape.  Consequently, it's not clear that the bound function can be applied to a 1D shape and get desired or predictable results.

A limited search for using the bound function with a 1D shape proved to be fruitless.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

RhesusMinus

This kinda works (hehe, with a little typo in the last IF section):

But only for shape transformation, and other formulas looking for the correct width. But if it's possible, I'd really like the BOUND to work on the 1D Start/Endpoints.

THL

RhesusMinus

Do you know of another way to do this Al? So that the BOUND function works on the 1D handles instead of just the shape?

THL

Jumpy

In a 1D Shape you can move either endpoint and the other one has to be changed (from the BOUND function or sth. similiar). That is not possible because there's a circular dependency I guess. Maybe you can overcome this with trickery and the SETATREF-Function-Family???

Another idea could be to lock the length - width of the shape, so that the user can't change it with the endpoints. You would than need to change the width another way, perhaps with a ShapeData property.?

vojo

I have not tried this....but what about setatref functions.....it would break the loop

The other way to go would be to define the shape as floating (no bound but way smaller than line)....use controls and connections to independently set the points (geometry, control, connection sections) and connect to them
This would mean....on drop....user would have to stretch the points to make the connections the connections.

I.e. similar to the EN fabric shape in the standard stencils.