Save Text Scale

Started by uniken1, February 08, 2011, 07:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniken1

I have download "Routers-Cisco 1800.vss" from http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/prod_cat_visios.html
I should make some changes to shape, but when I ungroup text breaks.
How save text scaling? Or how create same effect with my own text objects?

Nikolay

How about not breaking the shape by ungrouping it then? :)
I mean, you could still edit sub-shapes without ungrouping the shape, e.g. using Drawing Explorer (anywhere), or Group -> Open Group (in Visio 2010?)

uniken1

How can I edit sub-shapes if I can't select them without ungrouping?

Nikolay

Like I wrote, you could use the Drawing Explorer, or the "Open Group" command.

You should be able to select sub-shapes, unless group behavior prevents that.
In case it does, you can change this to allow sub-shape selection. Take a look at Format -> Behavior -> Selection

uniken1

Did you try to do this with file from [1] post?
Because I can't understand how to do this.

Nikolay

No I didn't. Now I did. There are no Visio sub-shapes. There is only a picture (as far as I understand).
What did you want to do with the shape in that file exactly?

uniken1

Quote from: Nikolay on February 08, 2011, 11:48:45 AM
There are no Visio sub-shapes. There is only a picture (as far as I understand).
How it? If you ungroup shape you can edit all sub-shapes, but text is breaks.

Quote from: Nikolay on February 08, 2011, 11:48:45 AM
What did you want to do with the shape in that file exactly?
This is Cisco 1841, but I need 1811 and I need add/repleace some items

uniken1

Not is mandatory to change this shape(I can repaint it). How generally to make the text which is scaled and can be less 1pt? (I need save size of shape)

Paul Herber

Hmmm, in Drawing Explorer the shapes appear to be just a grouped shape containing an image, and ungrouping the shape just gives a shape that seems to consist of an image. However, if you then ungroup that "image" you get all the subshapes Uniken1 writes about. I can see no way to edit the group's shapes. I'm not at all sure how these shapes were created, are they metafiles perhaps? They are more than just simple images though.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Nikolay

Ups. You are right!
The picture indeed appears to be a metafile. I did not try to ungroup the image :-\

So yes, I'm really sorry about my misleading suggestions. I don't actually know what to do about metafiles.
Maybe you could edit the metafile in some external editor (like Inkspace or Adobe Illustrator) and then insert it back to Visio?

wapperdude

You can do some mild editting.  Basically the structure is a 1D shape with a picture grouped to it.

If you select the picture and copy it, you can do some editting to the copy, e.g., the text, some coloring.  You could add your own text, etc.  When done, select this entire copy and group it.

Now, re-select the original picture, and using the Size & Position window (it's under View tab), shrink the original down to nothing, e.g., height = width = 1e-6.  De-select, DO NOT DELETE, and reselect the entire original shape,  and add the copy to the selection.  Align the copy to the original, and then under Shape > Grouping > select Add to Group.

You now have a modified shape that preserves all of the data structure.

HTH
Wapperdude.

Visio 2019 Pro

uniken1

Quote from: wapperdude on February 09, 2011, 01:50:13 AM
TheNewCisco.vsd
In this image text is broken too.

Why text objects after ungrouping become the true text shape? What they were before?
How can I create text shape, that have behavior like curve? May be exists any way to convert text to curve?

Nikolay

I do not think you will be able to edit this image (metafile) in Visio at all. I mean, without breaking it.
Ungrouping the image converts it into Visio format (breaks into Visio shapes), and this conversion ruins the image.

In your place I would try to use a different (specialized) program capable of editing vector images (and exporting EMF), like the mentioned above Inkscape (free),
or asked CISCO for the shape for your router type. I guess they must have created these images in some CAD program, and then exported for Visio as EMF files.
Means, I bet that CISCO did not use Visio to draw these router images; and this probably means you won't be able to adjust them using Visio.

wapperdude

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by image text is broken?  Did you extract the image shape as directed?  The text is quite edittable, or we're not on the same page -- pun intended!   :D   I thought there was enough changes to illustrate what could be done!?!

I've updated the Visio file -- pulled out the graphic.  Here's what you should see:
1.)  The green face changed to blue with a gradient fill.  
2.)  The two power lights have changed colors.
3.)  The "SYS PWR" text was editted to change the "PWR" font.
4.)  The text in the upper right corner was totally changed from 3 text blocks to a single block with multiple font faces.

Is this not what you were after?

Plus, all of the data properties were intact, i.e., the shape was never ungrouped.

Hope this clarifies things?   ???

Wapperdude

Edit:  If you mean the text doesnt scale with the shape size, you need to bring up the shapesheet for the text item, and then in the character section, add a scaling factor to the font size.  Something like =Width/180 pt
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

Quote from: wapperdude on February 09, 2011, 05:55:22 AM
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by image text is broken?  Did you extract the image shape as directed?  The text is quite edittable, or we're not on the same page -- pun intended!   :D   I thought there was enough changes to illustrate what could be done!?!

Hi Wapperdude,

When you ungroup the extracted image (i.e. the metafile), all text items having the font size less than 1pt are converted to 1pt font size, and this makes the picture ugly.
Probably this effect is what is meant under the "broken text". To observe it, probably you could try the approach you described with the second picture (rear view) in the stencil.

The second thing here is that ungrouping the metafile might result in huge number of Visio shapes,
and thus reduced rendering performance.

So in my view, the one way around this might be editing the metafile itself.