Title Block with data across several pages?

Started by whitey_666, February 03, 2011, 10:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey_666

Hi all,

I'm very new to Visio 2007 (and shapesheets) and I've been tasked with creating a title block that is used across several pages in the file.

Page-1 needs to contain the main title block (with shape data/text that can be edited using the doubleclick command) and for all other pages I need to have a title block shape (on the document stencil) that i can drop onto the page when needed, that uses/refers to all the same shape data properties from the page-1 title block such as Title/Drawing Number/Drawing Type/Scale etc.

My 1st question's is this the correct way to do this???

I thought I had it sorted, but then when i dropped the Title Block mounted on the stencil onto page-2, I managed to get the shape data to copy across ok but when I try to use CTRL+C I keep getting a "Error #318" which won't allow me to copy or paste anything on the drawing.

I'm really stuck with this as I've searched high and low for an answer.

If anyone can help it will be much appreciated!

aledlund

It sounds like what you want is a background page with the title block on it.
al

whitey_666

Cheers Al,

Yeah I was reading about using a background page with a Title Block, But I have 2 concerns with it;

The 1st being can you edit the background page title block (shape data) from another page?
Normally the idea would be the user would double click the title block to access the Shape Data on page-1.

The 2nd is the title block needs to have a "scale" field that has variable text in it (that can vary across different pages). How can this be achieved if I'm only using 1 background page?

Is any of this achievable or am I going about it the wrong way???

Thanks

Jumpy

I would use a background page that contains the title block and is the same for all frontpages like Al suggested.

I would than only create and place a shape in front of the part where the "scale" field shall be and that can get individual text. That shape can be created with a fixed position and put in the stencil to be used on every page you need it.

whitey_666

Ahh ok, so is there a way to insert a new page to a drawing with stencil's attached, like a new page template?

Also is there no way of editing the title block data from a different page?
(even something like a button with "got to the background page, edit shape, return to previous page) lol

My problem is my company won't allow macro's to be used so i'm trying to do everything through the shapesheet but as I said in my 1st post im very new to the shapesheet! Also my manager wants the border as user friendly as possible hence the above question's.

Thanks for your help so far guys

wapperdude

Editting the background page directly from a foreground page is not possible -- for a variety of reasons.  The main one being that the changes would propagate to all of the foreground pages using that background.

However, there are some built-in features that are page specific.  From the menu bar > Insert > Fields, there are a variety of inserts that can be selected.  Some might be useful.  The Custom field provides a method that might be "page context" sensitive.  Haven't tried that, so, no recommendations here.  You might have to add a property to each page, and then have that property read by formula.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro