Allow/disallow a connector to connect to a shape

Started by cmarcoru, March 11, 2011, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmarcoru

Hello all,

I am trying to solve a problem that I have been requested, but I don't know so good how to start. Maybe you could help me out how to focus the solution:

The problem is: Imagine I have 3 shapes lifelines, limited to just have the Prop.Name as A, B or C. I will send later messages between them (using a connector, ie connecting the shapes). I have to limit this messages to just be between A-B and B-C, meaning that if I try to connect A-C I will get an error message or something like that.

Does any body know how I could do this?
Can I somehow modify the master shape that when dropped in the page it checks the initial and final connected shape, and allow it or not?

Thank you very much, any comment is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Marco

vojo

you got rich future of VBA writing in front of you

Shapes can NOT send messages in any way/shape/form to each other natively....need VBA

This will not be trivial...good luck

aledlund

Assuming you're using v2010 premium, you should check out David Parkers latest book on rule creations.
al

cmarcoru

Thanks for the answers. I am using Visio 2003, but maybe that book may give me some ideas.

By the way, I am checking all the Cell functions and I cannot find the way to other small question. If in one connector in the parameter BeginX I have the following formula "=PAR(PNT(Object Lifeline!Connections.Row_44.X,Object Lifeline!Connections.Row_44.Y))", how could I get in the same shape and store in User parameter the shape name/id "Object Lifeline"?

I mean, what I am trying to do is more or less to take the Shape that corresponds to certain point.

Thank you very much for your comments. Now I know I will have it difficult!
Marco