Edit Text for VSD Grafx Network Shape

Started by visiodummy, January 21, 2011, 05:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visiodummy

Hey all, new to the forum and this is my first post, but definately not my last..Any here's my problem:

How do I edit the the shape text for the object I have attached to this post.

As you can see from the shape it has shape text that reads:

Model:
Product:

And so on..

How do I edit this text and how is it linked to the object? If you edit the shape data by double clicking on the object, ex: change OS from W2K3 to W2K8 some how it links to the shape text. This is driving me insane!!
HELP!!!! ???

vojo

double click

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

The text you see is linked to Shape Data fields in the shape. Right-click the shape and choose Data > Shape Data. You should see the Shape Data window with loads of fields to edit.

If you are using Visio 2007 or older, go to View, Shape Data Window to turn it on.

You can also right-click the shape to turn the text on or off.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

visiodummy

I know how to add data to an object, but if you right click and say show shape text there are some fields the are greyed out, such as OS:, Model:, CPU etc..How do I change that data? And how is the data that is being displayed when you click show shape text linked to the objects properties??

Say I wanted to add additional fields to where the greyed out text is and link it to the objects properties, how do I do that??

wapperdude

The right click just enables viewing the data or not.  Follow either Vojo's or VisioGuy's answers, i.e., double click the shape or right click > Data > Shape Data to bring up the menu entry window.  This allows you to change the entries.

As far as adding properties to see, this particular shape uses an add-on to configure the viewable data.  I don't believe you can modify this.

Wapperdude.
Visio 2019 Pro

visiodummy

Wapperdude, that's what I thought (about the add on). If you view the data sheet is says ( =RUNADDON("NETWORK SHAPE PROPERTIES") ), does anyone know where I can get this particular add on? I've read that it come with Visio 2002, but I have been unable to find it.

wapperdude

I took a brief look for the addon, wasn't successful.  But did run across these sites.  They might be helpful. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254730:  goes thru how to hide / show different properties.  In case you want to do this yourself.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa167946.aspx:  is a list of technical articles for V2002.  Might be something in here, don't know.

The following was my initial search effort, you might want to refine it:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-us?query=runaddon+network+shape+properties
Perhaps someone else on the forum might have some better insights.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

aledlund

Which begs the question, what visio version/edition are you using? The shape has vestiges of datagraphics in it which infers v2007 Pro or above (which is obviously not supported in v2002 and is not reliant upon the Network Properties add-in).
al

visiodummy

aledlund

All of the 'text' data is buried in the shape data properties. You edit it there.

"Change OS from W2K3 to W2K8 some how it links to the shape text", the operating system property is a list of values stored in the shape data fields. Make sure you're in developer mode (tools=>options=>advanced=> run in develper mode).
Right click the shape => select show shapesheet and look at prop.operatingsystem in the Shape Data section to see how it works.

al

visiodummy

Quote from: aledlund on January 22, 2011, 07:15:52 PM
All of the 'text' data is buried in the shape data properties. You edit it there.

"Change OS from W2K3 to W2K8 some how it links to the shape text", the operating system property is a list of values stored in the shape data fields. Make sure you're in developer mode (tools=>options=>advanced=> run in develper mode).
Right click the shape => select show shapesheet and look at prop.operatingsystem in the Shape Data section to see how it works.

al

I get all that, but what I want to edit is where it actually says OS:, Model: etc..

aledlund

Are you talking about the value, or the label, of the custom property/shape data?
al

aledlund

Never mind, I think I (finally) understand the question. The "text field" is cleverly built by embedding "TextFields" into the string. The text string looks like this when captured

?
Model:  ?
Product:    ?
Hostname:   ?
CPU:    ?
Memory: ?
HDD Config: ?

In the text stream it is calling the data from the textfield section of the shapesheet which is linked to the shapedata section of the shapesheet. That's why when you change the value in a shapedata row the embedded fields in the text string change.

hth,
al

aledlund

by the way, this isn't a simple edit. It was accomplished when the master shape was designed. That's obvious because of the linking of the fields text => textfields => shapedata and the extensive formatting input into the character section of the shapesheet.
al