Shape Data in SubShape

Started by RhesusMinus, January 11, 2011, 03:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhesusMinus

See attached VSD and this image:

I've got one shape (Group), that contains a sub shape (Option).
Both shapes has a Shape Data named PartNo. However, when I run the shape report "inventory" (the one that's saved with the vsd), it only counts the Group shapes PartNo.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

THL

Yacine

Not sure, but try to define your own report. We have similar situations where it works just fine. What version of visio are you running.
Yacine

RhesusMinus

The embedded report is actually my own report definition.
I'm running Visio 2010 Prof.

THL

RhesusMinus

Anyone? Maybe some other tips on the Shape Report?

If I can't get this to work I'll have to program my own report function. Would like to use the built in one tho'...

THL

aledlund

As a guess from the side. Visio is (rightfully) pretty strict about not naming multiple objects with the same name. This might also be applied to shape properties, so the recursion into a shape would only take the first instance of shape property name.
al

RhesusMinus

Thanks for replying Al.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

In the attached document, I've created a rectangle and an ellipse. These both have the PartNo Shape Data. I've also copied these two, and grouped the copies together. And then I've also given the Group a Shape Data with PartNo in it. And the shape report counts every PartNo shape data just fine, except the one in the other shape in the document... And I can't figure out why :(

THL

aledlund

Using the Drawing Explorer to examine your "option" shape, you have it flagged as non-printing and hide text (when compared against the other group). Have you investigated that?
al

RhesusMinus

Resetting those settings doesn't change anything when it comes to the Shape Report :(

But thanks for taking the time to investigate!

THL

wapperdude

There is something "unusual" with "TheShape" shape, but, haven't tracked it down yet. 

I copied the grouped shape to a new page, ungrouped, regrouped, no luck.  Ungrouped again.  Drew a rectangle over the shapes, added the shapes to the selection (kept the rectangle as the initial selection), regrouped.  Still, incomplete report.  Deleted the rectangle from the group, and then, ...lost track of other changes... but, was able to get the TheShape to show up in the report.

Perhaps if you start over.  Perhaps adding single feature at a time and then running report.  That will either, provide you with a working shape or, allow you to determine which step in your process breaks the reporting.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

meks

Try this:

1. Right Click the shape.
2. Format >> Behavior
3. Lower Right hand corner of the form is the selection type, change it to Group First.
4. Run your report.

Hope that helps. The only downfall here is that when your user slow clicks the shape 2 times, the sub shapes will be selected. :)

RhesusMinus

Hi Meks.

Your solution works! But as you write; It isn't optimal when it comes to users being able to select the sub shapes of the group.

However.. is this a "bug" in Visio, that it won't collect shape data from sub shapes if they're not selectable?
Or is it "as designed"?

THL