Adding a certain amount of space between shapes

Started by DomB, January 21, 2011, 09:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DomB

Hi,

I'm using Visio to design solar panel layouts (plain rectangles in Visio). The panels are layed in rows and need to have 18mm between each of them. Is there a way I can automate that 18mm spacing?

I've tried auto align and auto space etc but not getting very far there

Any help much appreciated!

DomB

Thanks - the grid thing there helps a little, but ideally I'd select say 5 rectangles and auto-space them so I get, say, 20mm put between each. I thought that might be what "Spacing Options" (Home Tab > Position > Spacing OPtions") but it doesn't seem to do much there..

vojo

got to do a lot of mental math...but

- layout 5 rectangles
- Use align to line them up
- move the last one to where you want last one
- select all
- use distribute...it will spread out and space them

Of course, you can write a macro to do this....I have done it myself

aledlund

As a thought you might consider creating a transparent shape of the necessary spacing to place between your panels...
al

DomB

Thanks Vojo,

I like the distribute idea - I'll try that for sure.

Aledlund

I tried what you mentioned there - my main issue was getting the shapes to snap togethor. I've tried all manner of changes under View > Visual Aids to make it so that my two rectangles (one being the panel the other being a spacer) would snap togethor edge against edge but can't get them to do so. Is it because I created the shapes myself? I tried adding connector points and enabling them under visual aids but they still don't 'snap' inline..

Thanks!

wapperdude

Why not use the Visio supplied add-on:  Tools > Add-ons > Visio Extras > Array Shapes.  That allows you to select spacing between shapes, number shapes by rows &/or columns?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro