How to fire an event from VBA? Or what to do?

Started by TomasL, January 10, 2011, 05:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomasL

I have a number of functions in a class-module, declared "with-events",
I.e. When a new page is added, data and stuff should be copied from the first page.
This works well within the GUI, if I add a page manually, the event fires, and the code is executed.
But, when I do the same from within VBA, page.add, this event is not fired, and obviously the code is not executed.
Do I need to call the procedure within the class-module, or copy the code to my standard module and run it with a normal call, or is there any other trick I can use.
my sites:
www.ebaman.com www.enrad.se www.tlec.se

Jumpy

Can't help you directly there, but encountered the same problem with opening documents with VBA. The Document_open event didn't fire.
My workarround: Since I was opening the doc with VBA anyway, I added a line in my code to start the Macros I needed, too. Some of those macros only had the job to fill With Events variables.

TomasL

It seems like the event fires sometimes, and sometimes not.
Correct me if I'm wrong:
If the code that adds a page runs straight on, without any brakepoints in any modules, the event PageAdded (and probably others as well) fires.
If I have a BP somewhere in the code so I have to either single-step (F8) or Run (F5) then the event will not fire.

WHat I have to do is to use CellExist on the page to check if the pageAdded code has run or not, if not, I hav to run it.
my sites:

aledlund

If I write a routine that I suspect may have to be called outside of an eventhandler, I create it as a subroutine and then just add any necessary setup (and the call) to the eventhandler.

"WHat I have to do is to use CellExist on the page to check if the pageAdded code has run or not, if not, I hav to run it.", IMHO is not a bad thing to do anytime you start adding sections/cells to a drawing.
al

TomasL

What is best practice?
Having all code that should happen after the PageAdded event in the classmodule, and if needed call this function from a normal code-module
Or have all code in a normal code-module and do a simpel call from the PageAdded function in the class-module
Or having two sets of the same code, one in the classmodule, that do all events, and one in the normal code-module, if the ecvent for some reason didn't fire.
my sites:

aledlund

I'm not an expert (and certainly not one to give out advice on best practices) but given the differences between platforms (vba vs. .Net) and languages (vb vs. c#, etc.). I'd suggest you code dive on some of the examples in the Visio SDK to see how they accomplish it. When I'm working in an area that I feel might need a stronger platform for data and event handling, I use vb.net.
al