Network diagram in Visio 2010

Started by dino1954, January 05, 2011, 02:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dino1954

I have just recently installed Visio Pro 2010 and want to use network diagrams with external data (initially excel). I did a simple computer image and imported 1 row (4 fields) to that object.
I went the edit graphic data route to move the data around the object, align it as needed and get rid of the default lines under the text. That all appeared to work well. Then I wanted to change some of the text for that object.  1) Went back to the excel spreadsheet and changed one of the fields and did a refresh. The field in the external data frame updated but the actual graphic and the text around it did NOT! Looked for options, but did not see any. I was under the impression that when I changed the field in excel that it would pass that change all the way thru to the visio diagram. thoughts?

2) I have lots of data and many rows of info to attach to similar objects, how can I quickly replicate the image and attached it to a different row of data in the external data file?

Appreciate any guidance or direction with this...
Dino

aledlund

1. "that it would pass that change all the way thru to the visio diagram". The first thing I would do after the refresh would be to check to see that the datarecordset(s) have been updated. Open the external data window to see if the new data has been updated. The second step is to verify that the datarecordset information has updated the shapedata in the objects. Right click the shape => Data => ShapeData. If it hasn't you may have broken the link between the shape and the datarecord. You can try a relink. A little of that is covered over here (late in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YHc5ZJrXas

2. the autolink feature allows you to identify what field (name) in the shape should be used to link it to which field in the datarecordset.

al

dino1954

Al,
Thank you. I checked the external data window and the data is updated there but not in the shape (these are displayed fields around the object. I have 4 fields I am trying to display arnd an object.) I also checked the shapedata and it is not updated either.
On the right hand side I get the following errors: ObjectData: Server.152 & ObjectData: Server.80.
ObjectData is the worksheet in my excel workbook that is the source.
I checked the link symbol is missing from the external data window after this refresh, so clearly the refresh failed. (In my test/prototype there are 2 rows and 2 data shapes I am working with so that is reason for  errors)
I viewed ur video and it is very helpful. Your effort is much more complex than what I have to do, but the approach will definitely help if I can get this to work for my simple effort.

I will keep trying to figure out how to get this to work for my simple excel issue.
TY
Dino

aledlund

Dino,
The shapedata field names and the excel column names must match exactly, or the link won't happen. Can you share your (small) excel file and the drawing you are trying to link? Please nothing with confidential information.
al

dino1954

yes I can...  Would prefer not to do it on the blog....
Where can I send or can we do a private msg?
tks

aledlund

my other email (edlund60014) lives over at yahoo dot com.
al

dino1954

email was just sent your way....  Look for dino1954 as user name.....
tks
Dino