Automated Network Diagramming

Started by mariaa33, January 04, 2011, 04:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariaa33

If I have manually created a Network Diagram for several connected routers which each has 1 to 13 ethernet switches attached, is there a way to automate putting in the Router names, router ports and connecting ethernet switches from an excel spreadsheet?  What I would like to do is to change the assoicated excel spreadsheet data and then refresh the data on the network diagram?

aledlund

Are you talking about data linking (update the data in the spreadsheet and the shape data in the drawing changes) or are you talking about drawing automation (where shapes are added and deleted based upon rows, in addition to data linking)? If you are using v2007Pro or above, then the data linking is a very easy process. Anything beyond that will require custom code.
al

mariaa33

Well, I guess maybe I need to start with Data linking but I can't figure out how to get it to display the data that I want.  Do you know of a website that explains how to use data linking. Also if I construct one with link to excel, can that data be update with new info and the drawing change to display the new values.