Help required to create template with custom stencil

Started by Thoem, January 03, 2011, 03:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thoem

Hello everybody,

I am happy I found this forum. I have recently been upgraded to Visio 2010 and I would like to create a template – but not getting where I want to.

How to create a template and save it (as VST) is not a problem. Yet I have created a customized stencil with standard flowchart shapes, where I already included "shape data fields" – so the idea is that I or any other user can drag and drop these shapes from the stencil onto the drawing board and only having to fill out the data fields specifics.

Now the problem is, I do not know how to save the template WITH that customized stencil. If for instance I would send it per email to somebody, or store it on one of our group-drives, the person opening it would never have this customized stencil and therefore needs to add it manually.

Does anybody have an idea how to resolve this – or maybe made already experiences with it?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Tom

meks

What you should do is...

1. Create the template "with" your customized stencil open.
2. Now open the Templates Document Stencil, File >> Shapes >> Show Document Stencil
3. 2 Stencils should now be open in the left pane of the Visio Window, your customized stencil and document stencil.
4. Copy all the master shapes from your customized stencil to the document stencil. Then Save the template.
5. The Template now has your customized stencil in its document stencil, keep the Document stencil open as you save your Visio files to have the shapes inside immediately visible to the next user.

Hope that helps. :)