Organization Chart Wizard

Started by planiolro, December 22, 2010, 11:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planiolro

Dear all,

I am trying to use the Organization Chart Wizard (Visio 2003), but after I indicate the location of an Excel file from where the data would be used, I get an error message : "Unable to read names form your file".
The Excel file contains to columns: Name and Supervisor. The names used in the aforementioned columns are in my native language which is not English.
How I can overcome this unpleasant obstacle?  For me this is paramount since I have to do organizational diagrams for more than 300 employees.

Thank you in advance

Paul Herber

Do you have the English language version of Visio, the version for your own language or some other language?
Can you change the headings in the Excel file to suit the language expected by the wizard?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

planiolro

The heading of the  columns are in English. However I get the same error.

aledlund

I'd suggest that you take a look at the orgdata.xls file in the visio directory. The valid column names are :
Name   Title   Reports_To   Department   Telephone   E-Mail   Office_Number   Master_Shape

al

planiolro

Quote from: aledlund on December 22, 2010, 12:31:13 PM
I'd suggest that you take a look at the orgdata.xls file in the visio directory. The valid column names are :
Name   Title   Reports_To   Department   Telephone   E-Mail   Office_Number   Master_Shape

al

Indeed u are right in the file u have indicated the columns headings are named as u mentioned. So I have changed the names according to the orgdata.xls file. Still I am getting the same error.
What could be the reason? In the orgdata.xls file I have noticed that there are more than 2 columns. However only two of them are required, namely name and reports_to which are the columns I have in my excl file. So why is not working?

planiolro

Now it is working properly. Anyway thank you for the tip, since I have been trying to solve this issue for almost an year now. Luckily, by change I have found this forum which deals with Visio related issues. T

Thank you very much for your help. 

planiolro

Quote from: aledlund on December 22, 2010, 12:31:13 PM

al

I presume that this applies for Visio 2007 as well. Since I am not a native English speaker is there an orgdata.xls file for other languages as well? I am asking this since in Visio 2007 in the org chart wizard there is the possibility to choose a language different than English. I did that in fact and of course I got the error "Unable to read names from your file". So I had to get back to English version again which sometimes is not convenient.

aledlund

I have never installed a non-english version of Visio, so I can't say if they delivered a matching excel file. Obviously the OrgChart Wizard and the Excel file would have to match. One thing you might try is to create the OrgChart manually and then export it as an XLSX file to see what the column headings are.

al