Visio link with SharePoint

Started by bhartenb, July 22, 2008, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhartenb

Hi All,

I'm using Visio 2007 and uploading Visio floorplans into SharePoint Services

I would like to change the Visio floorplan on the LAN and have the update
propagate to the drawing on SharePoint.

I haven't been able to find any information on this.
Is this possible?

Thank you

Visio Guy

Hi bhartenb,

Doesn't Visio allow you to "check out" the drawing, then push the new version up to the portal?

Or are you wanting to do some sort of differencing? I don't fully understand the problem (I don't fully understant SharePoint either)

Any SharePoint gurus out there?
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

bobsmith

Hi Visio Guy!  This is my first post here, but I wanted to say thank you for all of your awesome work and research into Visio.  As a network architect, I LIVE in Visio, and have referenced your article many times over the years.  Thank you.

So, in regards to this users post, I think what he is trying to ask, is if he saves his Visio drawing on a shared drive somewhere on the LAN, is there any way to get it to automatically publish into SPS.  The answer is no...and yes.  If you had some application that was able to look into a directory, compare the date/time stamp with the last file it pushed up to SPS, then, logged into SPS, checked the document in...hmmm...no...that wouldn't work...that would require that same user to check the document out first.  OK...so maybe check the directory, do the compare, check the existing document out, open the saved document, upload it and check it in...wow...that seems like a LOT of work.  Why don't you just check the doc into the doc library?

There is also no way to get a "differential" shot from SPS to be able to view the differences.  That would require a Visio office plug-in on the SPS server (similar to the Excel add-in), which I haven't seen.  I maintain a very large Visio document library for our organization, and only DREAM about that functionality.  Any programmers out there that are looking for some money...come up with that and you are a MILLIONAIRE!