Graphics Capabilites

Started by snsisk, July 02, 2008, 02:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snsisk

Visio needs to embrace the latest SVG standard.  If the graphic creation capabilities will not be improved, compliance with the latest SVG standard will enable other SVG tools to created with other tools and imported.

Although Visio is a diagram tool, the underlying components are graphic images.  The Visio development team should decide whether the creation of graphics will be inclusive or exclusive of Visio.  Text along a line, masking, custom gradients, and lighting are just a few of the capabilities that exist in current Microsoft products.  Although other diagramming tools lack some of the sophistication of Visio's capabilities, those products have superior graphics from an aesthetics perspective.  Visual appeal weighs heavily on a diagram's ability to make the sale, acquire the endorsement for a concept and gain approval for a project.  A lackluster diagram will fail disparately to hold the audiences attention long enough for the message to be considered.

Visio Guy

Amen!

Oddly, I believe Adobe has stopped support of its SVG viewer for IE, and I'm not sure how heavy Microsoft is pursuing, Visio-wise.

But Micrsoft has the whole set of XAML/Silverlight/WPF/Avalon technologies, which support a very rich set of graphics effects...who knows?
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010