Want to learn VBA - Where to start?

Started by Michelle, October 22, 2010, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle

OK, I am getting sick of needing to be able to do more in Visio and feeling like my complete lack of VBA knowledge or Macro creation is holding me back!   :-[

Where can I go to get a real beginner's start up guide?  Are there how to books that are recommended?  Helpful Websites (besides this one ;))? 

Thanks!
Michelle

aledlund

Michelle

Cool.  There's a lot to work thru there, and it starts at a level that even I consider easy!  ;D

I notice that Visio can use other programming languages, VBA, C++, and propbably others.  What is considered the best to use?  The easiest (most newbie friendly?)  I am still trying to find solutions (for now) using the shape sheet, as I need to complete my projects in a resonable amount of time.  But I will need to begin adding programming to my repertoire soon if I am to keep up with the project requests!

aledlund

The class I was most thankful for in college (decades?) was one in flowcharting and logic? After that it's just the idiosyncracies of the different tools (visual studio). I'd also suggest you download the visio 2010 sdk (almost 90% of it is usable downlevel). This version of the sdk now has vba examples in it as well as sample applications you can code dive into to see how they did them. Beyond vba, microsoft pretty much sticks to c# and vb.net. Both of these require visual studio. A lot of the demos coming out from MS are in C# and it appears that under the covers that is what they are using for development.
hth,
al

wapperdude

As far as books go, this has been the subject on many posts.  Check out VisioGuy's blog, he has two recommendations:  http://www.visguy.com/

The other place to visit (which is really the SDK on-line, I suppose) is:  Developing Microsoft Visio Solutions
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa245244(v=office.10).aspx   Chapter15 may be of particular interest.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro