Capabilities via cusom development (using SDK?)

Started by noppojp, October 03, 2010, 09:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noppojp

Hiya,

Here's the background. 3 questions coming.

My company has as the source for an org chart data in an Access DB, that's enabling one particular team to create org charts via the Wizard in Visio. The wizard, as you know and as i think is the case by default, creates boxes for every person in the resulting org chart after the connection to the DB is established.

The issue is that the team working with the DB and Visio org chart spends considerable time touching up the org chart to make it right.  Considerable time i say, because not every person gets a box, or should have connectors to their names, and some people have extra details behind their name depending on the employee type; certain levels get the same color box, (again) some get none, bolding of names, italics of other text (based on specific conditions), etc.

My questions about capabilities are as follows:

1) By doing custom development in Visio, would it be possible to entirely automate the clean-up / touch-up, and further customization of the resulting wizard org chart?

2) what language would such customization be developed? VB?

3) Are there coding examples available anywhere out there on the web?  I've not found any. I've been spoiled by the archives on UtterAccess.com, and am hoping that there's something similar out there to help me build my knowledge in this space.

i certainly hope this gets a reply.

Thanks from Asia

aledlund

David Parker has a great article on his blog on how you might approach this
http://davidjpp.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/creating-an-org-chart-without-the-org-chart-wizard/
as far as what programming language to use the common MS supported ones are in the Visio SDK
(C#, vb.net, vba).
al

noppojp

Super, i'm all over it.  DLd the files, poking around now. As i read this and other forums, it appears that you've provided that link several times.  i should have payed closer attention. Thank you. I'll be back to this site again and again.  I might need some hand holding with this new relationship that i'm learning more about (Access and Visio).  I'll hit up davidjpp with some questions after i go through his example provided. Much obliged.

Regards from Asia :)