Moving Linked Data Sources in Visio 2007

Started by andycwilkes, October 01, 2010, 12:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andycwilkes

Hi
I've prepared a diagram with a lot of shapes and their data linked to a spreadsheet.  I've done this at work on my personal drive.  However, I now need to move it to a network drive so it can be shared with the department.  But, if I move the vsd and spreadsheet to the new drive, the links are lost (in fact, the diagram on the new drive still links to the spreadsheet on the old drive).  Is there any way to change the path in the vsd so it recognises the new location - or am I stuck with dumping the whole linked file and relinking from the new file?
tia
andyw

Jumpy

What kind of link are you talking about? Which wizard if any did you use to create it?

If your Shapes are linked to the table in the External Data window and that is linked to the excel file, than you can change that link/path if you configure the update options. The link of the shapes to the external Data Source table should be unaffedted from his. Look in the Data Menu to see what options are available.

If you used another method of linking...

andycwilkes

Quote from: Jumpy on October 01, 2010, 01:22:50 PM
What kind of link are you talking about? Which wizard if any did you use to create it?

If your Shapes are linked to the table in the External Data window and that is linked to the excel file, than you can change that link/path if you configure the update options. The link of the shapes to the external Data Source table should be unaffedted from his. Look in the Data Menu to see what options are available.

Thanks for the quick response.  I was using 'Link Data to Shapes' with the vsd file on P:\visio and the xls on P:\visio\data.  Moved both docs to U:\visio and U:\visio\data respectively.  In the new visio doc, the internal links still work, but U:\visio doc still linked to P:\visio\data.  I couldn't see how to change it to point at U:\visio\data.  Found it thanks to your pointer - but not from the main data menu, but by right clicking on the external data window and choosing 'reconfigure refresh' then 'Change data source'.  (Although that made all sorts of threats that I might lose the existing links, I didn't and all is well.  Many thanks again.
cheers
andyw

EMangino

:)

THANK YOU!!!!!

I also have very complicated diagrams that I need to move and had not been able to figure out how to do i without having to re link soemtimes up to 300+ shapes.