Visio to access integration

Started by camoes, September 16, 2010, 10:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camoes

hi all.

I've a access database with the register of all computers of the building, with some information like:

Pc's name
IP
model
cpu
memory
drive space
USER
department
serial number
etc....

and I'm trying to build a visio draw with the biding plan (simple one), to easily locate the computers.
just 1 floor.

How can i create a way to integrate the visio drawing with the access DB so i can update or change information on any of the programs and see the result reflected on the other one?

tanks all

ps: it should be able to add or remove computers.

aledlund

It would help knowing a.) what version of visio/office you are using b.) how good are your coding skills. The out-of-the-box experience does not roundtrip objects, only data related to objects.
al

camoes

Hi

a.) I'm using office 2003
b.) I'm a decent programmer but not a professional. I cam make some basic code or I can change and adapt a more complex one.

"The out-of-the-box experience does not roundtrip objects, only data related to objects. "

if i understand it well i cant update in access and see it reflected on visio?

NT

aledlund

With v2003 and above you can use the database wizard to save and restore data from a datasource (it's a manual wizard that can be automated). If you add an object to the drawing you can update the database. If you add/remove an object from the database visio does not change the drawing. With v2007/v2010 they have improved the data refresh and added some data visualization enhancements, the ability to add/remove objects has not been changed. You might check out this post with the attached demo code

http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=1241.0

al