Dynamic connector to represent both connection initiation and fetching data

Started by krikan, February 19, 2015, 05:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krikan

When discussing data flows with the security teams, the typical questions that are asked are
1. Where is the connection initiated ?
2. Which direction does the data flow ?

As an example, if we apply the above 2 questions to a ftp connection scenario,  typically
the ftp connection needs to be initiated from within our network to the external  vendor server and the
file needs to be fetched ("get"). The other alternative of the vendor pushing the file to our server is not
allowed from a security standpoint.

To represent this scenario, i typically use a grouped shape with a dynamic connector and a directed line
to show the flow.

I was oblivious to the shapesheet and in the past few weeks have been reading up on that and tried various
ways of being able to make the directed line to be in a fixed position relative to the dynamic connector. The problem
was when i move the shape, both go out of sync..

Need help.  Will need the steps as a newbie who want to pickup the mysteries of the shapesheet.

Tried to look for books/material and couldn't find something that helps a beginner. Most of them assume that you have been
using visio for ages and refers to documentation that no longer exists at microsoft website etc.. Any reference on that matter
would help.

wapperdude

What version of Visio?

Generally, that gets to be a bit tricky with connectors.  Unless they're confined to be straight, you never know exactly where the path is going to bend and go from horiz to vert, and visa versa.  Beginning with V2010, this, I believe, is more predictable, but, I don't have access to the newer versions so I cannot help with those.

I'm assuming that putting an arrowhead on the terminating end of the line is unacceptable? 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Hi Krikan,
you're looking for line ends.
Check the attachment.
Regards,
Yacine
Yacine

krikan

Wapperdude = Visio 2010
Yacine - The red connector is very close what i am looking for. A yellow control handle on the inner arrow which will allow flipping the arrow direction and sizing would make it complete...

Thanks and looking at the shapesheets, have to lookup the functions and attributes that have been used (PAR, PNT, Connections etc...)..
Special thanks for giving mutliple variations that gives me more to pickup...

Any books or URLS that would be a good reference apart from microsoft websites ?

Yacine

QuoteAny books or URLS that would be a good reference apart from microsoft websites ?
Yes: http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php  ;D

QuoteA yellow control handle on the inner arrow which will allow flipping the arrow direction and sizing would make it complete...
I wouldn't like to recommend this approach. Rather play with the line and end patterns. It's just a matter of directions. Really simple. Make several of them and let some action menu change the direction. Not more. Keep it simple.
May be:
- Flip direction + Flow with and againts
Yacine

krikan

Thanks Yacine.. Point taken and kept it simple.. Was able to create 2 line ends (push-data and pull-data) which when applied on a dynamic connector works great.

There are 2 problems
1. It doesn't change sizes like the other line ends (very small, small, medium, large etc..) and remains the same.
2. When the line size is changed, the line ends remains the same and doesn't behave like the standard line ends..

Any pointers as to how to make it behave like the other line ends ?

Yacine

Hi Krikan,
the size of the pattern depends on the line weight if the patter is not scaled.
My head is unfortunately too tired this evening to figure out the right combination of non scaled and other properties of the pattern.
Would you mind trying this out by yourself?

If nothing else helps, you'd probably need to make several versions with different line and line end patterns? --> not the ideal solution.
May be own of the fellow members have a ready solution.

Cheers,
Yacine
Yacine