Make Items Transparent or Grayed-out when Disabled

Started by splshfn, August 31, 2010, 11:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splshfn

Not sure if this is even possible but here goes.  We have a document process flow that we follow for our projects that is included with the rest of our project process flow. Lets say we have 10 possible documents that may need to be filled out in the course of the project depending on the type of project.  If it is a full blown project all 10 documents are required.  If is a medium project we only need 7 documents, if it is small project only 4 documents need to be filled out and the last type we only need the project plan.  We would like to be able to have a Visio that would grey out those documents that aren't needed if it is a Medium project but still show the other 3 documents on the process flow.  We are trying to keep it to one document so that if we add or delete documents, we aren't updating 4 Visio documents.  I think I have seen this done before but am drawing a blank now that I am the one in charge of the doing.  I am fairly proficient in Visio, not so proficient in programming but do have some programming knowledge.

Thanks for any tips or hints.  

Debbie

Yacine

I would suggest to use the visibility of layers for that purpose.
Yacine

vojo

This is probably not the slickest way to do it....but

- have a table of contents with the 10 processes titled.
- For each process in TOC have a separate page that has the details for that process.
- Set all shapes on the given page to the transparency setting of the entry on the TOC page.

So when a new project comes along

- copy the VSD or template (if you want all the stencils to be tied to the project)
- user goes to TOC
- greys out TOC entries not needed
- This causes all the details for those given entries to be greyed out automatically.
- user can see what he missed but knows, as of now, not pertinent to this given project.

This can be done without any VBA but does need shapesheet and shape skill.

Again...not the slickest...but.....

Visio Guy

Hi Debbie,

Are these documents represented as flowchart shapes? Are they hyperlinked to the documents/templates that need to be filled out? I'm trying to understand exactly what you want to gray out before I answer...
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

splshfn

Hi:

The documents are represented as shapes on the flowchart within the rest of the processes.  They are not currently hyperlinked (but not a bad idea to do so).  What we wanted to grey out was the shapes on the flow chart.

We have 4 project types:  A, B, C, D
We have a questionnaire, charter, project plan, specifications, RACI, timeline that need to be filled out for example.

For project A only the Charter and Project Plan are filled out
For project B only the Questionnaire, Charter and Project Plan are filled out.
For project C and D everything is filled out.

The other parts of the process are the same no matter what type of project the project manager is working on, only the documents that are filled out change.  We basically want to use the same process flow for each project type but be able to say here you are working on a B project these are the documents that you need to fill out.  We don't want to have to have 4 versions of the flow chart that have to be updated as we tweak our process.

Does that make more sense?

Debbie

wapperdude

Is there a restriction placed upon whomever accesses the flowchart?  That is, certain people, like managers, could access everything, but, other individuals can access based upon name, project assignment, whatever.

Or, anyone can access any process, and it is simply the process that "keys" which documents may be opened?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

splshfn

No restriction currently placed upon whomever accesses the flowchart.    It is simply the project that "keys" the documents that are to be used.

Debbie