Can Visio Diagram a SQL Server Stored Procedure or UDF and if Yes then HOW

Started by YSLGuru, August 23, 2010, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YSLGuru

I'm much more of a DB guy then a Visio guy so I'm very mcuh a newbie in the Viso modeling arena.  I've tried for some time to find some tool, add-in, act of the super natural, that will enable the diagraming of a SQL Server Stored Procedure and have yet to find anything.

I would have thought thsi woiuld be easy but atlast its apparently not that common a request.  I have an accounting application that uses a SQL Server database and it has a number of complex STored Procedure calls that are nested and I'm trying to visually diagram these to better study them and look for probelms they may have caused.

Does anyone know if its possible in VIsio to diagram the flow of a Stored Procedure, preferably a nested set of SPs and if so then how?  IO know its porbably possible to do this via a complet custom set of stencils (or whatever the obejcts in Visio are called) but thats way over my head considring how little I know about Visio.

Thanks

aledlund

My experience with the addin has been that since it is ODBC based, it didn't pull in the Stored Procedures. The software/database tools haven't quite kept up with the industry. Since UDFs can be CLR based it brings it to a whole different level of coding, and No it's not a stencil thing. There has been some 3rd party stuff. You might check this out
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/alberto_ferrari/archive/2010/04/16/visio-forward-engineer-addin-for-office-2010.aspx
al