Geometry section won't keep formulas intact

Started by jrinn, August 19, 2010, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrinn

I've been going crazy trying to figure out why my geometry section for a simple connector shape ("Z" shaped) won't hang onto formulas.

I've spent a whole day trying to create control handles in the shapesheet controls section and using them in the geometry section to change the geometry with no luck.  Every legit formula I enter into the Controls section takes well, but is either immediately converted to a value or upon entering the next formula converted to the resulting value.  Even if I show formulas all I see are the values, but just in the geometry section!

I've been looking online for help and picked up other examples from other posts and everyone else seems to be able to use Width, Height, Controls.X1,X2,... in their formulas and they stay active.  All of mine are good only for the initial entry and then they vanish into the air.

This attachment is a pathetic shape in a stencil that I've been beating up for hours so it makes little sense.  The key is for me that the Geometry section won't hold onto it's formulas.

Any ideas?

Visio Guy

Hi jrinn,

Start with changing:

Miscellaneous.DynFeedback
= 0
Miscellaneous.ObjType = 0

and see if it improves.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

jrinn

Thanks, I'll check later tonight. (going home after a 16 hour day first!)

Jumpy

You are working on the dynamic connector, ObjType 2.
Every change to geometry section won't work, because Visio can change them at will.
Every formula in geometry section won't stick for the same reason.

Every formula (not in the geometry section) but using values from the geometry section won't work because Visio can delete and add rows to that section at will.
So if you reference geometry1, row_4 for example in a formula, Visio might delete it in the next instance.
Even if Visio later adds a row_4 again, your formula has lost its reference and is smashed.

-----------------

If you just wan't to create a connector, where you can move each leg individually, use the "universal connector" that you find in the "Connector" stencil.

jrinn

Thanks.  I was out of town for a while, but when I returned I started working with a copy of a Universal connector as you suggested and have it doing exactly what I wanted it to do.
thanks again,
   JPR