Started by gyra, August 19, 2010, 05:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gyra

Things given to me

- X and Y coordinates
- Component degree
- Component groups
- Component size

I'm not good with the technical jargon but what I want to do is to group components together so it is more organized. 

What I start off with:

What I want the end result to be:

Please help, I am going bald   :D

Paul Herber

I think layers might be your best bet.
Create one layer per group, and set a layer colour.
Now select the shapes you want in that group (hold Shift and select the shapes), then add those shapes to the layer.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

gyra

Quote from: Paul Herber on August 19, 2010, 06:14:39 PM
I think layers might be your best bet.
Create one layer per group, and set a layer colour.
Now select the shapes you want in that group (hold Shift and select the shapes), then add those shapes to the layer.

Thanks for the response.

I have thought about using layers but I want to link the excel sheet with the information onto Visio so it arrranges/creates the color block automatically.  I have tried it with Visio 2002 with Database Wizard and it works but company have upgraded the software to 2010.

:(

Jumpy

Search this forum or better Chris articles about sth. like:
"Change Color depending on ShapeData".

ShapeData can be changed with linking shapes to external Data from Databases. That should be even more easy using Visio2010 than 2002.
But you need a Professional Version of Visio. Database Wizard is not part of the standard edition.

gyra

Quote from: Jumpy on August 19, 2010, 08:07:08 PM
Search this forum or better Chris articles about sth. like:
"Change Color depending on ShapeData".

ShapeData can be changed with linking shapes to external Data from Databases. That should be even more easy using Visio2010 than 2002.
But you need a Professional Version of Visio. Database Wizard is not part of the standard edition.

Searched, found and bookmarked!!

I'm a bit confused on my version now.  I'm using the standard edition (atlease that is what was written on the box) but then I am able to access the Database Wizard.  Now I'm confused  ???  I will make a screenshot for you guys early tomorrow morning.

gyra

Here is a pic of the database wizard.

gyra

Does anyone have any suggestions or inputs?

Paul Herber

Actually, the Database Wizard is in Visio Standard as well, I'm not sure if the functionality is exactly the same; but if you have the database wizard then try it.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jumpy

I didn't express me clearly, I fear. For the kind of linking you need, you need imho the feature that links ShapeData to an external source, for example excel.
That is not the same as the DatabaseWizard, who is part of Visio standard like Paul said.
The linkink of ShapeData is normally not part of Visio standard. That was what I wanted to say in my last post, but got confused with the DBwizard.

Maybe you can do what you want with the DBwizard, but I don't see how, but I'm not truly proficient with it, so it may be, that I only don't see the way, even if there is one.

Jumpy

gyra

Hopefully the steps I've used in the older version may explain what I am trying to do better for the newer version.

Database Wizard -->
Create a linked drawing -->
Create a drawing which represents a database table -->
Modify existing drawing -->
Modify existing page -->

Then it gets to source to define a new data source in which I've selected Microsoft Excel.  

After this step it goes on to ask for a stencil and a master which I've created but was unable to have Visio read.

*Edit, I finally found someone having the same issue as me only the thread starter is using Visio 2003 and I have Visio 2010.

QuoteI'm using the database wizard and am trying to import multiple text fields
into one master.  I have an excel table with a list of parts and for each
part is has a part name, part number, and location.  They must be in
different shapes because each field has different formatting.

I've tried using group shapes and doing various things, but I can only get
it to work with one text field and one shape... not with multiple fields.

Please Help! can this

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32071578/importing-multiple-fields-from-excel-to-one-master.aspx

gyra

Any Visio gurus know the answer?

gyra

Looks like I'm having trouble linking the shapes (Master).  Error message I got when trying to link them via Database Wizard is:

QuoteThe selected stencil contains no suitable shapes for representing records in the database table.
Use the Database Wizard to create a shape that has a linked cell for every field in the table.

I've loaded all shapes and sizes to my favorties but still getting that message.  Please help!

Jumpy

I'm not truly proficient with the DB wizard, so only a guess. The wizard seems to need very special shapes and they have to come from the original stencils that belong to the wizard. Otherwise the hidden AddOn that is behind the wizard won't work. Like many other AddOns (the discussions on the Org chart wizard, come to mind) you can't look behind the scenes and therefore can't really tweak them.

Jumpy

gyra

Quote from: Jumpy on September 13, 2010, 08:20:49 PM
I'm not truly proficient with the DB wizard, so only a guess. The wizard seems to need very special shapes and they have to come from the original stencils that belong to the wizard. Otherwise the hidden AddOn that is behind the wizard won't work. Like many other AddOns (the discussions on the Org chart wizard, come to mind) you can't look behind the scenes and therefore can't really tweak them.

Jumpy

Thanks for reply, I'm using the shapes from the Visio stencil.  In particular a rectangular box from basic shapes (metric) --> blocks (metric) --> box.  I don't get how it will not link up.

gyra

Still need help with this one, if anyone has any insight on this.