Best Way to Learn VBA for Visio

Started by JessicaRose, July 10, 2008, 04:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessicaRose

I'm kind of in a time crunch and would like to know the quickest route to learn VBA for Visio.  Are online or college courses useful?  I know they don't usually focus on the Visio aspect, but what kind of class would be the most useful.  My job is really wanting me to be able to "master" Visio and sync databases with master files, etc.  They are most interested in me learning the coding, to manipulate Visio to do what we need it to.

There are several colleges in the area, but anything online would be more useful.  There have been several "workshops" that come here, but they usually get cancelled for lack of registration.
I have no background in any kind of programming and coding, but know my way through Visio, AutoCad, and most Microsoft Office applications.  Thank you for any advice you may have.

Lars-Erik

Code... Learn by doing :)
VBA isn't a very hard programming language and VBA in visio is still basically VBA. You can find out many of the Visio specific code by either using the macro recorder, or for example the tools in the SDK tool for Visio. So personally I would advice to learn some basic VBA especially because you don't have any coding experience. Look for a VBA workshop, not a specific one for Visio VBA.

Visio Guy

Hi JR,

When learning new topics, I often search for the words "tutorial" and "primer". There are lots of good basic introductory articles out there on thousands of subjects.

Also, if you company will pay for it, there are Visio training classes. Here's a link for Visimation's Visio Developer Training I'm not sure if they have any courses planned, or if they do classes strictly on contract.

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010