Connector jumps away

Started by Jumpy, August 02, 2010, 07:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpy

The following problem. I have dynamic connectors (ObjType=2) to connect my shapes. They symbolize pipes that connect parts of heating systems.
Sometimes I want to add a shape, for example a pump, into the circuit.

Because it is only a plan without functionallity it is sufficent, to place the pump on the pipe at the right place. It is not neccessary, to connect the connector with the pump and add a new connector on the other side of the pump, that closes the circuit again. Therefore placing on the line/pipe is sufficent.

BUT: The connector jumps away and routes arround the pump. What it should do, is ignoring the pump, which is placed about it.
I tried some changes in the ShapeSheet (either on connector or on pump shape), but i don't find the right ones. Sometimes it works. I think that's it and change it in the shapes in the stencil. Next time, new drawing (template is free of old masters in doc stencil!) the situation arises again and... the connector jumps again.

So for you to be unbiased, I don't tell what I already tried. Seeing the situation, what changes in ShapeSheet do you recommened (which shape)?
Thats my first and main question.
--------------------------------

A second different question is the following:
It may come the day, when (with other shapes than a pump) it may be nice, when the connector would be split in half, an connect to the new shape with the splitted ends. The shapeSheet cells ShapeSplit and ShapeSplittable in ShapeLayout Section seem to indicate, that sth. like this is possible. But how can I react to sth. like this? How to check, that the connector end connect to the correct connection points? Or does that only work with shapes that have dynamic glue or how it is called?

Thanks for all help, especially on problem 1 which is driving me mad.

Jumpy

Visio Guy

You can set shapes so that they are ignored by connectors. In pre-Visio 2010, this was done by Format > Behavior > Placement, then something like "Do not layout and route around". (Keine ahnung wie es in der deutsche-version heisst)

This corresponds to Miscellaneous.ObjType = 4.

That might solve part of your problem.

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Yacine

The quintessence is, either you tell your shape to be ignored by the routing process (Chris) or you really cut the connectors. The trick for the second behaviour, is that both the cut shape and the cutting shape must be set as such: "can cut connector" and "can be cut".
Yacine