Combining Word and Visio Files; Maintaining Hyperlinks

Started by winchella, July 07, 2010, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winchella

I am trying to combine a Word document and a series of Visio drawings (in a single file), ideally into a pdf.  The Word document has hyperlinks to pages in the Visio document, and the Visio document has hyperlinks to bookmarks in the Word document.

I could export both to html and use pdf Web Capture to combine the two and maintain the links.  However, this lost Word formatting.  I then tried exporting the Word document directly to pdf and combining it with the html Visio files, and that did not work.

Could I add the Visio diagrams to the Word document itself and maintain the links?  I expect that both documents will need to be changed fairly regularly, so I would prefer to be able to edit both separately as necessary and combine them in one fell swoop (without any extra hyperlink-editing).

Is there another good way to do this?

meks

Why dont you try the Insert Object method both for Visio or Word. Insert everything where you want the links to be placed.

winchella

I've tried inserting a Visio object into Word, but the links that I'd established in Visio do not work in the document unless you double-click the object itself.  That is not very useful as I want to convert it to pdf.

Inserting the Word document into Visio only captures the first page; the document has 100 pages and I do not want to save each separately.  Also, I wouldn't have anything to link to until I imported it into Visio, and I would like to establish everything in Word first if possible.

Is there a way to make the Convert to PDF function handle this merge or some other way to combine the files?  I can't find anything.