Re-rotate slightly mis-rotated shape?

Started by David.P, June 04, 2010, 10:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David.P

Hi forum,

I was wondering if there is a trick how a shape that is (slightly) rotated for some reason, can be re-rotated in order to be in line with the grid again? For example like this slightly mis-rotated shape that should become exactly vertical:

Or, more generally, is there a way to rotate a shape such that any of it's lines becomes parallel to another line on the page?

This would all be easy if you could not only move the center of rotation but also the rotation handle (and if the handle would snap to things when rotating). Both however seems not to be the case, unfortunately.

Regards David.P
Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

Yacine

The size and position window is your friend.
Set the angle to the right value there.

Now if the angle is already right, but your shape not, then draw a line, snapping it's ends to one of the inclined lines of your object, copy the angle of the new line into clipboard, past this value in the angle field of your problem shape with a minus sign, re-join ... done
Yacine

David.P

Yihaa! That did it beautifully. Thanks! Sorry that it took me so long to reply, somehow I didn't get notified by the forum.

Thanks very much again,
Cheers David.P
Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

nashwaan

Yacine, your answer is clever: to create a line and snap it to the problematic shape then find the angle.
I like it.
:D
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe — Abraham Lincoln

Visio Guy

When you rotate a shape using the "lollipop" handle, the further out you go from the center of rotation, the finer the snapping. If you rotate from near the center, you can snap to 5-degree increments, for example.

This might help you too.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010