Help: How to *Glue* a shape to another shape

Started by nashwaan, July 05, 2010, 04:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nashwaan

I am trying to achieve this since 2 months ???

Is there a way on earth to *glue* a 2-D shape to another 2-D shape?

To simplify the problem, Lets say there two shapes:
1) A rectangle shape where its height and width are locked.
2) A circle shape

I need to glue the center of the rectangle to the edge of the circle, maybe by using "Glue to shape geometry". So if the circle is moved or resized the rectangle will only move with the edge of the circle automatically.
The problem this is not working.
i tried to convert the rectangle to a 1-D shape, then it will glue to the circle but it will not maintain its size and position correctly with respect to circle transformation.  :-[  :(
Note: I don't want to achieve this by grouping the two shapes where the rectangle is set as "Resize Behavior: Reposition only". I want something based on *glue*, please.

Thanks
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe — Abraham Lincoln

Yacine

Nashwaan,
your square needs a connection point type 1 or higher.
Make sure that "gluing" and "glue to shape geometry" are both ON.
To glue it on the circle, drag it over the circle and WAIT (1-2 seconds?). Red squares should show around your square. The square should now follow the circle.

With 1D-shapes you need to protect one of the end points via GUARD in the shapesheet.

Cheers
Yacine
Yacine

nashwaan

Thanks Yacine for the solution and the quick reply.
It worked perfectly. I followed your instruction and turned a Connection Point to "Type 1: Outward". I didn't know such option exist in Visio.

Just curios, can you elaborate more about the second technique. Do you mean to guarding BeginX/Y or gurading EndX/Y?

Many thanks, Yacine.
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe — Abraham Lincoln

Yacine

Hi Nashwaan,
I hoped you would not ask, as I searched for it yesterday and did not find it.

But here it is - a topic were we discussed a problem pretty similar to your's
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=1736.0

Make sure to analyse the shapesheets of the attachments.

Cheers
Yacine
Yacine