How do I use the same layers on multiple pages?

Started by mr_zzz2003, June 26, 2010, 03:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_zzz2003

I created a diagram that represents a product structure in Visio.  I want to use this diagram to create multiple slides for a presentation.

Right now I am copying everything on one page then pasting it on the next.  All the layer information transfers over but if I make a change to the original or add new layers they are not on the new page. 

I have also tried creating a shape from everything on the first page then putting that shape on the additional pages.  This has the same issues from above. 

I hope I am missing some simple fundamental part of Visio that allows me to share all the layers I have in a document on every page in that document. 

Cheers!
Zach ;D

aledlund

It sounds like you might want to take a look at background pages, or a single master page with everything and then copy it while turning off the layers that you do not want visible.
al

mr_zzz2003

I have looked into using Background pages but it doesn't work.  I'm not sure what a single master page is and can't seem to find any literature on it.  Could you point me int he right direction. 

As I keep researching this issue there does not seem to be a simple solution.  The only semi useful info I have found is about using VBA to print multiple pages and setting what layers are visible at what time. 

Any more help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers,
Zach

wapperdude

Hi Zach --

It sounds like you're close.  The missing item is where you do your update editting.  This needs to be done at the Document Stencil level.  Once you've created your "master" shape, and saved it onto a stencil, then, when you drag that shape onto a drawing page, Visio makes a copy of it.  This copy resides on the document stencil page.

If you edit the original master, these changes will NOT show up on the already placed master shapes.  But, it you edit the copy in the document stencil, all of the placed shapes will be changed.

See attached.  The triangle was originally yellow. 

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

mr_zzz2003

Hey Wapperdude!  Thanks that worked pretty well. 

There is something not right about it though. 

When I am editing my master shape I can not turn on and off the layers like when I am normally working.  I have to turn off the layer, save the master, close it, re-open the master then the layer change I made takes effect. 

Also the only way I see to save the changes I make to the master is by closing the window and it asks me if I want to save the changes I made to the master. 

Thanks again for your help.  It is going to save me hours of headaches  :D

Zach

mr_zzz2003

Hey Guys,

I can't tell you how frustrating it is not being able to control the layers within the master object.  Is there really no solution? 

My current project has close to 20 layers that I have to back and forth from constantly.  So I am creating a new master and pasting it on the 20 sheets each time I make up dates. 

Is there a better way?

Thanks again,
Zach