Binary Association + Mid-Arrow

Started by SubMatrix, July 01, 2010, 02:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SubMatrix

So here's the problem I'm having.  I'm creating a ER diagram for a class and using Visio to do my layout.  I am using shapes mainly from the UML Static Structure list, which for the most part, works great.  The problem I am having is with the binary association shape, which I use to define the relationship between two entities (classes).  Specifically, the problem I am having is getting the arrow to point the right direction.  In the properties of the shape I can define whether the arrow points forward or backwards. This presents two problems:

1. If my binary association moves in an up or down direction the arrow that points only to the left or right is ambiguous as to which way the line is traveling.

2. If I move the boxes around to make them look less cluttered, the arrow always points in the same direction. This can result in moving one box to the other side of the one it is related to, but since the arrow does not change directions it not implies the relationship in reverse unless I manually change it.

What I want is something like the mid-arrow from the block diagram shapes, but only for it's arrow.  When I connect it to two different boxes and then move them around the arrow will always point from the original box to the destination box, it's a "smart" arrow.  The binary association has all the functionality I need, but comes equipped with a dumb arrow that can't remember what it's pointing at. Giving all the functionality of Visio I'm assuming that I'm missing something, and surely there must be a shape out there that does what I need it to do. Does anyone know of such a shape?

Yacine

Hi,
from the description of your problem, I understand that the arrow line is not a standard visio connector, but some kind of static shape.

Now, if it is part of a solution that ships with visio, your chances are quite low to get it solved. If on the other hand you have some influence on the shapes, then chosing a regular connector shall be fine. These connectors are directed. ie: they have a beginning and an end point. Setting an  arrow on them can be solved by line patterns. (the third case this week-end already).
Yacine

SubMatrix

Thank you for your reply.

It's probably just my inexperience with Visio, but I only understood about half of that  :).  Both of the connectors (the binary association and mid-arrow) are Visio shapes, or rather, shapes that I picked from a list in Visio, I do not know how this relates to being a "standard Visio connector."

Basically all I want to do is create a line for a database entity relationship diagram.  The line needs to have an arrow (preferably in the middle) that always points to towards the same box when the boxes are moved around.  It also needs to be able to display the name of the line (the relationship syntax) in the middle, and display text at both ends of the line (the multiplicity of the relationship).

The binary association shape does all of this with exception to the arrow, which always points in a static direction and does not adjust when the shapes are moved, which seems stupid to me.  I just wanted to know if there was a better a shape, or a way to create the shape that I need.  I am still very new to Visio.