Paste in Place trick

Started by David.P, June 15, 2010, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David.P

Hi forum,

not sure whether this has been covered already. After having missed paste in place a lot for quite some time, this I what I came up with.

I draw an empty rectangle almost as large as the page. Then I cut and paste that rectangle in full page view zoom. This way, the rectangle is centered on the page. Now paste in place is as easy as selecting the item you want to paste AND the rectangle just created -- copy both -- change to the target page --- paste. The item is automatically pasted exactly in place, the rectangle can be deleted.

If that should be an oooold trick everybody knows already, then pls. admin delete this post.

Cheers David.P

Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

Visio Guy

Nice tip, DP!

I've been doing something similar for years, but I just use a small shape in a corner to reduce the amount of zooming.

Visio 2010 has improved. When you paste, shapes go to the location that they were originally at. If you want to paste where the mouse is, then you use the Paste item in the right-click context menu. So now you've got both options easily accessible.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

gwideman

> If you want to paste where the mouse is, then you use
> the Paste item in the right-click context menu.

Thanks Chris-from-the-past! In my current task, (not knowing) this was driving me crazy!

Steph

Hello to you all.  I've found an even easier way to paste in place and I was so excited about it, that I had to register for the forum to share it with you.  (I know - I should get out more.)

Anyway, to paste-in-place (in Visio 2010), after copying your object, you just need to fool Visio into thinking you're pasting it onto a different page. To do that jump to a different page and back again (Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn would do it, if you like keyboard shortcuts). When you paste (Ctrl-V), the new object will be pasted exactly over the original.

Steph

David.P

Nice find.

What I do to paste objects exactly onto other existing objects: I select the existing object, zoom in (maximally for maximum precision), then paste. The pasted object will be exactly centric relative to the exisiting object.
Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

JuneTheSecond

QuoteAnyway, to paste-in-place (in Visio 2010), after copying your object, you just need to fool Visio into thinking you're pasting it onto a different page. To do that jump to a different page and back again (Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn would do it, if you like keyboard shortcuts). When you paste (Ctrl-V), the new object will be pasted exactly over the original.

It is exactly correct in Visio 2016 pro. for Office 364!
Really cool!
Here is a short video.
https://youtu.be/zDoNuq4J9IU
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

kaseychansen

If I copy shapes from one sheet (CNTRL+C) and paste into another sheet (CNTRL+V), it is frequently not pasted in the same exact position. I found that if I do an 'undo' (CNTRL-Z) and then paste again (CNTRL-V) it pastes on the 2nd attempt in the same position. Weird! Running Visio Standard 2019 32-bit Version 1911 (Build 12228.20332) on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I also had this work in Visio 2016 on a Win7 machine.