Inserting Controls into a shape

Started by Michelle, July 02, 2008, 12:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle

Well, I'm not sure if this is the right category for this question, but I wasn't sure exactly where it fit in...

I want to insert a control into my shape, "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Frame" to be exact.  I can get it inserted with no problem, but when I bring that shape into a drawing, I am automatically in Design Mode.  The icon does not "show" as if I am in design mode, but I can't click on any of my check boxes or text boxes in the control frame, so I must be in design mode.  If I click on the icon twice it gets me out of design mode so i can use the control box. 

Can I somehow set my shape so it will drop and NOT be in design mode?  I think asking my end user to double click the design icon to use the shape may be asking too much.  One word of warning, I know absolutely NOTHING about VBA or programming.  :-[ 

TIA,
Michelle

Visio Guy

Good question Michelle!

I too was disappointed to learn (many years ago) that--for some reason that I have long forgotten--VBA goes into Design Mode when you drop a control on the page.

Bottom line, it doesn't really work to include controls in shapes, which is a MAJOR BUMMER.

There may be some hacky work-arounds for this problem, but I'm not sure that they would be worth the trouble. If anyone knows otherwise, please let us know.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Michelle

Hmm, That is a major bummer.  I figured that would be a standard thing to have controls right in the shapes.  Oh well.  I was originally working on using a shape that looked and worked much like a control check box, I'll go back to that. 

Thanks!