Can't fill simple CAD shape

Started by David.P, June 04, 2010, 09:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David.P

Hi forum,

quite often I have to work with drawings imported from *.dxf CAD files. Usually this is no problem, as long as I don't try to apply fills to certain imported shapes.

Below is such a shape that has been imported from a *.dxf file an then converted to a Visio shape (right click -> CAD object -> convert).

I can't for the life of me fill this shape with a simple solid fill, or whatever. It's the same if the shape is applied all sorts of merge, cut, combine etc. - commands.

It almost seems as if some lines the shape consists of have a wrong direction or something.

It would be great if there was a way to quickly fix such a shape (without having to go into the shape sheet and change the lines' coordinates by hand).

The shape is attached as Visio drawing.

Thanks heaps already
David.P
Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

Yacine

If you don't need to do it with several thousand shapes, you could try this...
Yacine

David.P

Thanks very much Yacine -- that's at least ONE possible way to successfully handle this issue  :)

But what actually IS the problem with this weird shape behaviour, for that matter?

Cheers David.P
Visio 2019

Yacine

Quote from: David.P on June 04, 2010, 09:22:54 AMIt almost seems as if some lines the shape consists of have a wrong direction or something.
I would say that you answered it already.
Yacine

David.P

I see -- thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers David.P
Visio 2019

wapperdude

That's an issue with CAD imports.  Visio creates a bazillion line shapes and they don't tend to join up nicely.  If the shape is relatively simple, as in this posted example, you could simply redraw the figure.  Not a great solution, but beats trying to convert this to a single, connected geometry shape.  And, in this case, the redraw was rather quick.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

David.P

Thanks Wapper -- Yacine's solution however did work very well already (yeah its redrawing as well, but only the "weird" lines)  ;)

Anyway, it's rather a pity that there seems to be no way to quickly fix such a shape in Visio.

Cheers David.P
Visio 2019

JuneTheSecond

Yacine's solution is cool, and remind me the value of "trim and join"!  :) :) :) :)
I am anxious,  may the anybody automate the solution!  ;) ;) ;)
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

JuneTheSecond

Now, found another solution.
It is "Fragments and Union".
Is it too late?
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

David.P

A-a-mazing! Thanks very much -- that's great. This is almost like redrawing everything, but automatically, not by hand!

Actually it seems you can do steps 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and skip the intermediate step 4.

This will be very helpful in many cases, thanks again,

Cheers David
Visio 2019