Connection Points / Connectors - Resizing with shape/group....

Started by Brandy, June 03, 2010, 04:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandy

@Yacine

I'm so, so sorry...

I never intentionally wanted to place any bad karma on you... that's the way you made me feel...

So please forgive me if I hurt your feelings in anyway.... I will never want to do that...You have been a Godsend and I thank you...

Again, thank you and I am so sorry

Brandy

Yacine

Brandy,
just kidding ;). Happy that you got the result you wanted.
Yacine

Brandy

@Wapperdude

Only one problem... it will not allow me to zoom in... only 68%... that it....

I will find a work around

Thanks

Brandy

Brandy

@Yacine

Anything to make you happy (Smile), no just kidding... :)  You never know when I will need help again... (Smile)

@everyone

Thank you so much for all the hard work... I could not have done this without your help... You all are a Godsend...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.... :-*

Brandy

wapperdude

Hi Brandy --

Let's back up a couple of posts, or is that threads?, to the drawing that you posted.  There are still some shapes not on the drawing page.  It looks like the page needs to be taller to encompass some of the shapes at the bottom.  There are a couple of "floating" shapes off to the right.  Do these need to be included?  If so, is there a reason they are bannished to the wastelands or can they be moved in?   ;)

Couple more points that need clarification. 
1.)  Is the aspect ratio of your drawing page a requirement?  It's a very odd size, but could be handled by a plotter rather than a printer (unless your work has special printer, of course.)  But, yes, if your printer will do 150, and your drawing is only 125, it should print.  In fact, you could print at 100% rather than 1:1.  Make sure that the drawing page and printing page orientations match.  There ought to be a little view window on the Print Setup tab that shows how the printer page and drawing page align to each other.  That's how things will be printed.

2.)  Such an odd aspect ratio will not print well to a standard size page.  Both height and width will be reduced equally, to whatever page size is selected for the printer.  That could be a lot of shrinking if the printer page is much less than 150!!!

Next you say you can only zoom into 68%.  Is that when looking at a whole page?  There should be no restriction on the Viewing zoom level.  Well, I think 3000 is the max limit.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Brandy

@Wapperdude

Why perform step 3 & 4?

Step 3.)  Assuming that Step 2 worked, Go back to your original unaltered drawing (undo all of the above steps)
    a.)  Now repeat Step 1, but make the size 4X smaller.
    b.)  Drawing should be bigger than the page size, but, unaltered.  If so, proceed to step 4.

Step 4.)  Repeat step 2, but, make the entry 4X smaller.
    a.)  Now the drawing should fill the page size and be unaltered.

Brandy

@Wapperdude

This is what happens when I reduce the size 4 x smaller...

see attachment

Thanks

Brandy

wapperdude

So far that looks good.  I can't tell how the drawing behaved, but it doesn't look like any problems appeared.  Did every thing stay in place?

Now, do step 4.   This should shrink the shapes to fit back onto the smaller page.

Why the steps???  Because you keep reporting problems, and I'm trying to narrow down where the problems occur.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Brandy

I'm a little confuse when you say retrieve the orginal and undo the above steps.  The original didn't have the steps. 

If I do 3 & 4, that's what I get. 

Brandy

Brandy

wapperdude

I'm sorry, the phrasing may have been confusing.  After performing steps 1 & 2, I wanted you to perform steps 3 & 4 on an unaltered version of the drawing.  So, I sentence was go back to the original.  The undo the above steps were in parenthesis, no "and".  The intention of the parenthesis was to undo steps 1 & 2 and that would get you back to the original drawing.  Or, you could just start anew.  The point was, steps 3 & 4 were to be performed on a version of the drawing that had not been altered.

It doesn't look like you have performed steps 3 & 4.  I see step 3, but not step 4.  It is important to do those steps, in the order given, and just those steps.  And to show the result for each of those steps.  So, to review:
  1.)  Start with an original version of the drawing
  2.)  Use the Page Setup and set the page size to 4X smaller than the original size.  Show the result.
  3.)  Use the Drawing scale, and set the left box entry to 4X smaller than the originial drawing scale factor.  Show the result.

The result will be a smaller page size, with drawing shrunk down to match this new page size.

Sorry for any confusion.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Brandy

@Wapperdude

Here you go....

Just 3 & 4 from the original

Brandy

wapperdude

Hi Brandy --

Well, I had a little time to play with this on a test drawing.  There were some unexpected results.

Your results don't look quite right, but even if they did, I don't think it's what you are after.

The step 3 part looks fine, but the step 4 does not.  Step 4 should have been applied to the drawing after step 3 was applied.  But, surprise number 1, that would have returned the drawing to it's original size.  Surprise number 2, the arrow heads didn't shrink.  Surprise number 3, the text didn't shrink.  Surprise number 4, those stupid tab stops.

So, that was a big fat waste of time.  Sorry!!! 

Now, let me repeat myself, if all you are trying to do is get a printed copy onto a known size of paper, you do not need to do those steps listed above.  Instead, opent the Page Setup window, go to the Page Size tab, and select the Custom page option.  This will "lock" your drawing size.

Next, go to the Printer Setup tab, select the desired Printer paper size, and then under Print zoom, select Fit to option, and enter 1 in each box.  Hit OK.  Now print the drawing.

Very sorry about the confusion.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Brandy

@Wapperdude

I had the original diagram set for those settings.  I had too many diagrams to fit on 36 x 150; the only option I had was to resize everything. 

When I set the drawing to 4x larger... it works, with the exception that the diagrams on the drawing prints very small. 

Jumpy scripts works wonderful; with the exception of the connectors.. they do not resize with the drawing.

Thanks so much for all your hard work.... thank you, thank you....

Brandy :-*

wapperdude

Hey!

Yep.  There's just so much that can go onto a hardcopy and still be legible.  If you had access to a plotter, most use a single roll of paper, which would allow for a custom printout - up to full width of the spool (which is usually E size), and as long as necessary.  It would be a BIG printout --  wall paper material.  ;D.

Sounds like multiple pages isn't an option?  You could use "off page" connectors to go from one page to the next if you need to maintain connectivity.

Connectors just won't scale nicely.  Too much hidden code behind them.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro