Modifying sequence diagram in visio 2003

Started by nsvora, May 17, 2010, 09:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsvora

I am using Microsoft Visio 2003 to define static classes with operations/methods and a sequence diagrams referring to these classes. The sequence diagram is almost done, but i realized that i missed one operation in middle of the diagram. When i try to move rest of the sequences down by selecting it as a block, all the operations in the block loose link with static diagrams. ( Methods which were referred to static classes as fun(), became fun, which means that now they no longer refer to static diagrams and any future changes would not be reflected in dynamic sequence diagrams automatically.)

The sequence diagrams have grown to A3 size paper and i have many of such diagrams which needs correction. Manually moving the operations one by one would involve lots of effort. Could someone kindly suggest a way to overcome this problem?

wapperdude

Hi --

If your problem hasn't been resolved yet, perhaps you can attach a sample Visio diagram that has the problem.  My guess is that no one has experienced this situation yet, and it sounds a little difficult to replicate.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

nsvora

Hi Wapperdude,
Thanks for the suggestion,
I am attaching the sequence diagrams here for clarity.

Figure 1 shows the sample sequence diagram where i want to add new  method after funA method. Now i select all the operations below funA with mouse and drag it down to make way for new method. New method is added as shown in Figure 2. But in figure 2, funB() has become funB and funC() has become funC. So this means that these methods have now lost their links with the static classes and any change (in function name, signature) will not be reflected automatically in sequence diagrams which would have been true in Figure 1.

These diagrams are only for reference and i have much complicated sequence diagrams wherein i want to insert one operation in middle and want to move rest down. But my problem is - as soon as i select and move the operations, they lose link with static diagrams. I want to avoid this.

Any suggestions ??

(I am moving the group of operations to align with x mark of activation line in Visio)