Visin 2010 extend the list of colors in "color by value"

Started by aldegonde, May 26, 2010, 03:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aldegonde

Concerns a pivot diagram with 100 different values

Is it possible to specify the number of items to the "color by value" list, in order to have an automatic fill in of the values and colors . Here apparently the list brings up only 7 items, I have to add manually the values and colors to the list
Is it possible to add an "IF the text contains a string of characters" in the value field and if yes, what is the formula

aldegonde

Yacine

Hi,
my first thought was, leave your fingers from Data Graphics, write your own callout. We've had yesterday a similar case.
My second thought was about the quality of the information your diagram will show if you have 100 different colours.
Wouldn't it make sense to group the data in less categories?
Yacine

scott

I believe that color by value prefills values and colors based on the objects on the page at the time that you select a field name. For example, if there are 7 shapes on the page that contain the field "Member" (for the sake of argument, let's assume they all have unique values for "Member"), Visio will assign seven preselected colors. If the page contains shapes with 23 unique values for Member, Visio will assign 23 unique colors. So if you want to force the issue... drop 100 shapes on a page and assign a unique Member value to each and see what Visio does with it! After that, you can delete the 100 shapes because the data graphic will retain the original values.

As an aside, I agree with Yacine that 100 colors is too many for the average person to differentiate. You are probably better off with colors for categories of Members if you have that many unique Member values.