Departmental Layering of Work Flows

Started by Deltadiver05, May 05, 2010, 02:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deltadiver05

Ok, I know this is a bit different, but I will attempt to outline what I am looking to do....
Is there a way to layer drawings in order to show only certain departmental or functional interactions?  Example: We have Superintendents (in charge of doing the work) and QC (in charge of inspecting the work).  I would like to have the ability to remove QC's inputs, outputs, forms etc. from the flow so that a Superintendent may view only their steps in the process and vice versa or everything together. 

I tried layering the flow, but it doesn't allow me to connect to the background layer shapes with connectors.  I was going to do a layer with just the activities and two other layers for QC and Supers respectively.  Their layers would only have their inputs, outputs, procedures, forms etc. visible, unless they wanted to make all layers visible to see QC's items as well. 

I explained it to someone like the Google maps features.  You can view the map as an aerial view or with the roads only.  You also have the ability to view the road names imposed on the aerial view (which most consider the most useful, but distracting if you only want to see the roads). 

Can Visio do this?  If it can, how would I post it for others to utilize if they don't have Visio?  PDF, web page, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Paul Herber

I wonder if you are getting confused between backgrounds and layers? Background pages are not layers and cannot be connected to.

Use menu View -> Layer Properties to create new layers, one per department etc., then assign your shapes to the appropriate layer (menu Format -> Layer).
The visibility of the layers can be controlled by menu View -> Layer Properties.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Deltadiver05

I certainly was!  Thank you.

What about when I publish as a PDF/web page.  Does it just make it one layer, or provide functionality to decide which layer to view?

Thanks

meks

I have tried this publishing the Visio file as HTML with layers, unfortunately, Visio will publish all your shapes in the drawing not minding of its layers.

Maybe, you can utilize the Visio Viewer for Internet Explorer instead, where the user can also control the layering.

Deltadiver05

That is a great idea, but we have to keep it simple stupid around here.  These are for Superintendents that may or may not know how to turn a computer on, so it has got to be real simple if they are going to actually use it.

Thanks

meks

Visio Viewer is a free add on to IE browser to view Visio files even though the user doesn't have Visio installed in their computer. Its just like Adobe Acrobat Reader which is needed to view PDF files.

But if you really want it simple, you can have a workaround of drawing your whole departmental flow in the first sheet of Visio, then dissect your drawing with QC flows on the second sheet, and so on, then publish it as web page.