How can i set connectors to avoid crossing certain shapes

Started by ivan, April 21, 2010, 10:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

See example attached. I got several group-shapes i need to connect. Everything connections, group-shapes are created and positioned via macros. But i need connectors not to cross subshapes in a group - connector must go up through thick black line and only then to its destination point. i.e connector must not cross red sub-shapes
I tried to set routing properties for those red shapes - no luck.
What can i do ? only ad several points to connector line to force it go right and up ?

vojo

This smells like special connectors....see the following:
  - June the second stuff
  - thread titled "rotated angle connector"

would need to build a custom connector to do this

ivan

http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=1031.0
this thread ? nope, i doubt it can help. of course i can create such a shape - but it's not a connector no mre i.e it behaves as a line - there's finite number of geometry sections etc.
I need connector 'avoiding' certain shapes ( and there're some routing features in visio, maybe i use them incorretly) or connector with certain ending start (like 5 mm left, 10 mm up at the beginning). what's the best way to do it ?

Yacine

Your shape works perfectly with a connector, which style is set to right angle. So the connector will need to be added to the stencil.
----
I must confes, that it took me over half an hour to get it running. Next thing to do, is to add a nice post in the suggestion category, hoping that some one from MS reads it. Non-Volunteers, one step backward  ;).
Yacine

ivan

QuoteYour shape works perfectly with a connector, which style is set to right angle
can you be more specific ? what do you mean 'which style is set to right angle'
QuoteSo the connector will need to be added to the stencil.
no problem with this - i add connections in a macros this i can use any shape i need

ivan

still v-e-e-e-ry buggy. that's a mistery how visio calculate complex connectors path for me.  i spent like several hours - without a success
I decided to go another way. Shape groups git a stencil inside - "Я110"
i tried to edit it.i added right - up line but then its position in a group is changed. how can i fox it ?
see example attached

Yacine

bdfy - or how can I call you? -,
you mentioned in your last but one post, that you are generating your drawing via macros.
Now, IF the groups, you posted are shapes to be dropped from stencils, THEN you coud
1) protect the group members from snapping
2) set connection points on the boundaries of your group
3) draw the inner connections (better user lines, rather than connectors)
4) set the visibility of the inner connections to true IF the corresponding connection gets connected by a connector (that is not possible without macros) and vice versa.

This is some how complicated and I fully agree with you, that it should no be necessary.
Anyhow give it a try.
Yacine

ivan

yes, via macros. here's the algorithm
i've got like 6-8 'up' groups, 5-6 'down' groups. macros connects them together in one shape, then adds text boxes , set coordinates etc
atm i'm stuck with adding connections between them. changing "Я110" will do the trick, but is there're way to get 'up' groups to look right with edited stencil without remaking them ?

vojo

better off starting with June's stuff...you really are.
Otherwise you are going to spend hours inventing stuff basically already available.

ivan

Quotebdfy - or how can I call you? -,
ivan is my name :) i'm ok with a nickname of course
QuoteInsert Quote
better off starting with June's stuff...you really are.
i guess you referring to http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?action=profile;u=97;sa=showPosts ?
what of his examples can be in use for my purpose ?
i got macros to create group-shapes i need but i stll can not connect them.
see attached - that's typical result of group-shapes forming/placing
i added those left-up lines to avoid routing within a group but still n luck
i tried to add several connections manually - they are routed not correctly ( i want them to behave like the red one - noy to cross any shapes/connectors

ivan

still don't get it :(
http://www.visguy.com/2008/06/25/free-isometric-piping-shapes-for-visio/
i see Visio Shapes and Stencil for Piping Isometrics by Junichi Yoda link
but Free Download link on the site http://yoda-e.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Piping_Isometrics/index.html is broken - link is missing.
+anyway i can't get how those fake-3d connectors can help me :(
can you be more specific ?

vojo

look...for something as complicated as you are trying to do...you will have to build the paths manually.
Junes stuff, while isometric, basically allows you to connect end points and takes care of all the geometry to get there and allows you to move branches.
So...you can take his connectors, change the angles in the shapesheet to be 90 instead of 30....and start building the connections you want.

To give you a feel of what is possible....see below (raw visio is way too big to post)

Yacine

vojo,
if bdfy would have been happy with manually set connections, then the regular connectors would have been just fine for the task. Just unable the automatic routing.

But I haven't got a satisfiying answer to my proposal to split the connector in an inner and an outer one. That's definetely worth trying.
Yacine

ivan

Quoteif bdfy would have been happy with manually set connections, then the regular connectors would have been just fine for the task
true. i did it manually like thousand times a year ago - now i have a lot of such charts - i want better solution

QuoteBut I haven't got a satisfiying answer to my proposal to split the connector in an inner and an outer one.
what do you mean ? split connector into several ones ?
- simple right-up for start
- then long connector
- then again simple one ?
can't imagine it working... i've tried already to add right-up line to 'up' group to replace part of the connector - no luck.
what i'm trying to understand is what visible routing is capable for at all ? how complex its 'avoiding' path can be ? what kind of shapes it ruotes the best ?
is there any progress in visio 2010 ?