Tile Patterns

Started by Cobie824, April 04, 2010, 05:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobie824

Hi:

I have been trying to use Visio to layout tile patterns but I am looking for an easier way than "copy & paste".  A typical tile might be 13in square with a 1/8" gap between adjacent tiles.  I have been drawing a 13-1/4" square with a 13" square inside it and then doing a "copy & paste" until I get a full row and then copying the full row until I complete the room.  Other graphic design programs have a "Step & repeat" function that allows copies of the original object to be copied a specified distance from the prodceeding object, but I can not find anything similar in Visio.

Is their an easier way then copy & paste"?

Thanks!

Yacine

Hi Cobie,
how about trying "Tools/Add-Ons/Array Shapes ..."
Yacine

Cobie824

THANK YOU!!!

I have been playing around with it for the last hour and, along with the move command, it does exactly what I wanted with the precision I need! In a hundred years I would never have found it on my own so thanks again!

John Distai

It sounds like you'll get double width grout joints using the method you described.  Perhaps you should draw a square for the tile, and then add a rectangle for the grout joint on the top and one of the sides of the object.  Repeat this object to get accurate grout lines.

Yacine

??? I did not understand you. Would you please reformulate.
Yacine

Visio Guy

I think JD is talking about a phenomenon with repeating patters where edges get repeated twice when people draw the patterns in a straightforward way.

In the attached image, the top pattern ends up with doubled grout between the tiles. (der Mörtel zwischen den Fliesen ist verdoppelt). The lower one is drawn in a less obvious way, but repeats better.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Yacine

Thank you Chris,
I understood your explanation, but could not replicate the effect.
Yacine

wapperdude

Depends upon how you attack the problem.  Normal inclination is to use edge to edge placement with zero spacing.  That would normally yield 2X grout.   ???

However, use center to center spacing, and set the spacing for the total shape width minus one grout edge width.  Yields perfect spacing.   :D  

See attached.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

I was thinking that it would be a custom pattern, so there would be no choice as to the spacing, the tiles would be jammed up against one another, so you'd have to be careful how the pattern unit-element was constructed.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

Ah!  Using custom patterns...
Visio 2019 Pro

John Distai

Yes, you guys understood what I was referring to.  Not correcting for the double grout joint can yield a big and unpleasant surprise when the layout becomes real.  I wish I would have seen the array shapes trick when I was designing my tile layouts.  It sure was tedious copying and pasting tile rows.