Previous topic - Next topic

JessicaRose

In Visio 2007, is it possible to update or refresh an entire stencil file
with changes made to the database once everything is linked?  I am looking to
update all masters at one time.  For example, I want to go into the database,
change individual prices, then go back into visio and update my masters with
the new pricing all at one time.  I thought I had found the way to do this,
but now I am unable to.
Is this something that will require VBA?

Visio Guy

Hi JR,

I think what you need is under: Tools > Add-ons > Visio Extras > Database Wizard.

Since you're talking about masters, you're talking about designing shapes before they are used. I think that the Database Wizard is better for this kind of thing.

Then new Data Linking stuff in Visio 2007 seems more focused on linking data records to shapes already on the page. I'm not sure if you can link this sort of data to master shapes. I'd have to do more investigating to answer this with 100% confidence.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

JessicaRose

I've been experimenting with the database wizard, but it doesn't seem to want to update the stencil file after I make changes to the database.  I can connect everything, but keep getting stuck.  I will explore this some more...

Visio Guy

Now that I think of it, I think the Database Wizard would update values in shapes on the page.

The masters would be pre-configured with the DB links, which is kind of what you want, but the updates to data would still happen to shapes on the page, not in the master. But I think you are trying to make a sort of "versioning mechanism", so this isn't quite going to work.

I need to research the end-user features more one of these days. I'm so used to doing development work! I wouldn't be surprised if there is something built-in that will do what you want, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't, too.  ???

Regardless, for 1700 masters, I would still recommend building your own tool. You'll have a much better feeling that things got done correctly. Even a "reporting" tool would be good for checking -- "All masters on stencil abc.vss have 3 Shape Data fields, with the current date in the version cell..." You get the idea.

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010