How to create revision numbers?

Started by wolfsnake, February 18, 2010, 07:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfsnake

I was wondering if there was a way to create a formula that would automatically track revision numbers.  I have a revision sheet at the beginning of my documents, and i list the revision number followed by the description.  Then on each page (some docs have hundreds of pages), i'd like that revision number to automatically update instead of having to manually change the revision number every time.  Can this be done?  If so, how?

vojo

cell in shape on each page could reference the revision page cell.    change on revision page changes thru out all pages.

Paul Herber

You could put the revision number in the Document user-defined or custom properties, or even in the normal Document properties (as in menu File -> Properties). All these can be accessed by menu Insert -> Field.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wolfsnake

Thanks for the advice, but i'm afraid i don't understand these vague descriptions.  A little more detail would be appreciated.  ???

wolfsnake

I'm back at this again.  I should clarify a few things:
I'm using Visio 2003.
I don't know anything about creating formulas in Visio.

I was able to do the following:
Put Visio in Developer Mode.
Create a shape on Page 1.
Go to the Shape Sheet properties of that shape.
Create a Custom Property (Prop.Revision_Number)
Make that shape have a drop down list of numbers.

Now I want to reference that shape on every page. (Say there are 35 pages). When I change the number in the shape on page 1, I want it to change on all the rest of the pages.

How do i do this?

wapperdude

I would add one more sheet to your mix, a background page.  Then, all of the drawing pages can reference this background.  

Depending upon how you setup the background page, you can use headers or footers or even some of the title block shapes.  Then you have two options:  1.)  from the background shape, pull the property from your revision shape, or 2.) from your revision shape, push the value into the background page.

For example, on the background sheet you might have a shape with the property prop.DrwRev.  Then, enter a formula in the prop.DrwRev value cell something like =Pages[Page-1]!Sheet.1!Prop.Revision_Number.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Gregory Jackson

I read the thread and I'm not getting it .. I'm trying to create a revision block have the number update (i.e.  go from 1.0 to 1.10) when someone saves the file.. also can you set a revision section for the name of the person who updated the document?

thx,

~r