News:

BB code in posts seems to be working again!
I haven't turned on every single tag, so please let me know if there are any that are used/needed but not activated.

Main Menu

Multi-core cable

Started by nortont, January 25, 2010, 05:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nortont

I am attempting to create or locate a shape for a multiple core cable (or a bunch of cables in one group) to simplify wiring diagrams.

Imagine a rack of equipment where 1 device has 40 cables coming out of it. of this, the go in groups of 4 to other equipment in the rack.

I would like to have a dynamic connector that is similar to the multi-tree but where you can have a different colour of pattern for each cable. This would show the start and end point with out needing to show 40 cables running side by side.

See the attached as an example
Guru Tim

zhuravsky

I have something. This is not exactly what you need, but try, may be you could take some ideas...

Edit: see next post for zhuravsky's download...

Visio Guy

Thanks zhuravsky!

I removed the empty VBA project from Cables.vss. The project contained no code, but still gave the "run macros?" warning, which might make IT managers nervous :)

This is essentially the same file, minus three blank lines. It won't bug you about macros.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

zhuravsky

nortont

That is half way there.

How do you add the yellow diamonds (sorry I dont know the name) that you can drag around?
If I can make them that every time I drag one from the centre, it creates a new cable (much like the ethernet symbol does) I believe I could make it have a property to set the colour.
Guru Tim

vojo

open shapesheet.
Add section ==> controls

Places first diamond on sheet.
Use X,Y to locate it initially (creation and drop)
Cursor can move diamond around at will (X,Y updates in shape sheet).

If you want some behaivor to track the control point, reference them in the geometry sections or subshape sections.

zhuravsky

Also you can manage the behavior of CONTROL in "X Benavior" and  "Y Benavior".

But I'm not quite sure how will it work for 40-cores shape. In my shape for 20 cores it is already slow. So, may somebody has another ideas?

vojo

note...if shape is a group fo 10-20 subshapes....dragging with updates will not work....ie cant visually drag the shape around and get connection points to bind.
Better off placing the shape and using connector lines to attach to other shapes.

Browser ID: smf (is_webkit)
Templates: 4: index (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 6: init, html_above, body_above, main, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), Post.english (default), Editor.english (default), Drafts.english (default).
Style sheets: 4: index.css, attachments.css, jquery.sceditor.css, responsive.css.
Hooks called: 271 (show)
Files included: 34 - 1306KB. (show)
Memory used: 1172KB.
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 13: 0.00188s for 26,766 bytes (show)
Cache misses: 2: (show)
Queries used: 17.

[Show Queries]