Update Alignment Box

Started by charlieUK, January 28, 2010, 03:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieUK

I've been messing with the ShapeSheet for a bit and now I've just created my first useful shape.  The problem I've got now is Update Alignment Box...  It strips all instances of my shape of all their carefully crafted cleverness!

Is this something anyone else has come across?  Of course I could just stop using UAB, but I like to understand things.

Thanks.

Charlie

Jumpy

Could you perhaps show us an example?

The alignmen box is the outer perimeter of the shape and defines its width and hight.
So if you update it, it wil change the width and height of the shape and influence formulas which depend on them.
Sometimes visio will change those formulas automatically and sometimes not, but I don't know when. Perhaps when you use the GUARD function?

charlieUK

Thank you, Jumpy.  I wrapped my formulas with the GUARD function and they now survive an 'Update Alignment Box' event, and are generally much more resilient.  Lovely.

Now to find out how to make doing it less of a pain.  Cheers.

AndyW

Just set the protection on your shape from the format menu, set lock width and lock height. Then you will find you can't update the alignment box for the shape.
Live life with an open mind