Creating Custom Shape - Resize grouped rectangles

Started by dave5050, June 14, 2008, 05:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave5050

Hi All,

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this, if it is not I apologize and would welcome direction on where to ask.

I know very little about Visio beyond creating network diagrams and simple flowcharts. I do know how to create simple shapes from grouping together various shapes and saving as favorites and such.

I have been trying to create an odd shape that I don't even know if it is possible...thus the question.

My goal is to have a shape that can be used as a header on the top of a form, something like a listview header with multiple columns. The base shape could be a 2 column header and I should be able to add additional columns as needed. However even if I have to creare a seperate shape for 2,3,4,5,6... column headers that is perfectly fine for me.

This is how I started:

Placed 2 rectangles on sheet next to each other, left of box 2 touching right of box 1. I had hoped to find a way that I could tie together that joining point in a way that I could move it and have it dynamically resize each of the two rectangles and the center line. Further I wished to be able to add text (Column Header Title) into each of the two rectangles.

So to resize, if I grab the right of box 2 and resize, only box 2 should resize. If I grab the left of box 1 only box 1 should resize. If I grab both the left of 2 and right of 1 (the joining line) then both boxes should resize thus adjusting the column widths together.

I don't know if I explained this correctly.

Any ideas on what I should look into?

Thanks for any assistance!

-David

wapperdude

One way to do this would be to right click your rectangles, then gto format>behavior and select interaction style as line.  Then under tools>snap & glue add glue to shape handles.  The behavior won't be perfect, but, assume that the left rect is in place.  Move rect #2 such that it's left side aligns with the 1st rectangle's right side.  The coinciding shape handles should become a red square. The behavior of this pair will be the left rect acts as the shape and the right rect acts as the dynamic connector--to steal some terminology.  So, if you select the left rectangle and drag it's right edge, the right rectangle's left edge will follow.  Easy to see if you give each rectangle a different color.  If you move the right rectangle, the shapes will unglue, just as if you grabbed a dynamic connector and moved it away from the shape it was glued to. 

Hope this helps.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro