Dynamic Connectors in Groups

Started by Nihimon, January 20, 2010, 07:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yacine

Yacine

wapperdude

Works on my PC too.

One thing I would recommend doing.  Before you extend your connectors (or even before you add them to the group), you ought to lock the size of the alignment box.  Select the group shape, open shapesheet, go protection section, and set LockCalcWH = 1.

Otherwise, as you strectch move your connectors about, the group selection box will expand and contract to maintain all shapes within it's boundaries.  If you have many shapes with connectors going all over the place, then the alignment (selection) boxes may expand and overlap each other.  This could make selecting desired shape difficult.  LockCalcWH will prevent this. It will "freeze" the size of the alignment box to whatever it is when the locked.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

fensterb

That is a good tip wapperdude...I will have to try that because that is annoying when you go to select groups and their size is huge because the alignment box has stretched due to making connections........ but back to the issue at hand............it clearly isnt my shapes....it is most definitely my visio/machine..... what could be causing this? I have done multiple uninstalls, registry cleans, reinstalls and I cannot figure it out.....At this point totally reformatting my Hard drive is not an option. Is there any other suggestions you guys have?

This is a windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine with 16GB of ram Running Visio 2007 and Office Pro 2007.. Is there an official MS uninstaller that will remove all registry and settings that could possibly help?

Thanks guys!

wapperdude

Are you running Visio as 32bit? 

Has this always been a problem?  Have you always used Visio on a 64b machine or is this a new system / installation? 

Visio 2019 Pro

fensterb

Im not sure how I am running it... I assume it is a 32 bit program (being 2007) so it always runs in 32bit..... This is not a new installation. It was installed and working for about 6 months, but then I had some other office issues from the original installation. Visio would always "configure" on startup and I would get a stole32.db when opening excel. So after dealing with that a while I turned to google and I tried all the fixes there that included registry changes, installation repairs, etc. Finally I got so fed up with it I completely un-installed visio and the rest of the office suite............after the re-installation everything worked properly......except this issue. I have scoured the internet looking for someone who had the same issue and came across this thread. It appears that the Original poster had the same issue...........I uninstalled and reinstalled visio once more and it still has not fixed the problem :\

***Edit****
Also, strangely, I cannot edit any of these shapes as master shapes to change properties. If I right click on them in the shapes window, the edit/edit master shape is grayed out. Am I missing something here?

wapperdude

It does seem like an installation issue...but, perhaps not Visio / Office.  Perhaps Windows.

I was experiencing some weird behaviors with various programs, all seemingly unrelated to each other.  Did the multiple uninstall/re-install thing.  Nothing worked.  So, bit the bullet, did a full Windows re-install.  Painful.  Windows 7 has a LOT of updates.  My process was to fully re-install Windows and it's updates before adding any new programs.  I wanted a "stable", "working" operating system.  OK.  No laughing.  Once that was done.  I added the anti-virus, firewall software as I knew I would be going to the internet frequently.  Then, methodically added one program at a time.  Confirmed it's functionality and behavior.  Saved system configuration.  Next program.  That way, if something began to misbehave, I could go back to undo the damage.

Part of the process was to add Visio first, then Office.  I have a 64bit operating system.  Installed those as 32bit.  Visio is V2007.  Office is V2010.  Thus, Visio needs to be 1st, otherwise, their are compatibility complaints.  So far, the strange misbehavior is gone, and various programs work as intended.

Yeah.  You really have to be unhappy with your computer behavior to go thru that.  Guess it's like a colonoscopy.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

fensterb

Hey Guys, I hope this is not rude but I am trying to bump this to get some fresh eyes on the problem to see if anyone out there can help with the issue.

Thank you!

wapperdude

No offense taken.  If I were you, I'd try for more opinions too!

It did occur to me that you could, try the following...since I'm convinced it's an installation issue.
    a.) uninstall both Office and Visio
    b.) reinstall Visio only.  Make sure it's 32bit.
    c.) verify that everything works correctly...both existing files, and try a creating a new file to be sure if there's no artifacts in the old file.

Hopefully, all will be fine.  If so, then re-install Office.  That can be either 32bit or 64bit...whatever works on your machine.  Now, re-check Visio.  At least this can help pinpoint if it's an Office/Visio conflict or perhaps point to a Windows issue.

Perhaps others will have additional ideas.  If they do, they're generally not bashful about sharing them.   :D

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro