Change text callout fill color according to data field value

Started by tamburs, January 18, 2010, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tamburs

Hi,
I've defined a circle callout to display a data field value (es. FREE RESOURCES). The fill color of the circle callout should change according to the value of the data fieldd. In other word I would like to define a new data shape allowing to display a text (as a text callout) and that changes its own fill color according to text value (as a color by value callout). Although the values of the range (to set fill color) are funtion of other data field values (es BACKUP RESOURCES, AVAILABLE RESOURCES).

Could you help me?

Thank you in advance

Tamburs

Jumpy

tamburs

Thank you jumpy!
I read it but it's not properly what I'm looking for because I want the shape to change color according to the value of a data field, and display data field. It can be that I'm not able to apply the content to the article to my problem but I'm approcing to visio now ( ???)

I want to create a new data colout which is the union of a text callout and a color by value calout. I thisn it could be a stupid problem...I'm only inexpert  :'(

Jumpy

How many different colors are you talking about. If it is only a few you can do the following:

You make a property and in it a list of possible values:
Name: Prop.YourDataField
Label and Prompt: "Whatever you like String"
Type: 1 (for fix list)
Format: "Free resources;Backup resources; Available resources"
Value: Choose one out of the List.
----
The value of this property can be called out to the text of the shape with a textfield.
---------------

Now make a user defined cell:
Name: User.NR
Value: =LOOKUP(Prop.YourDataField,Prop.YourDataField.Format)
-----
This gives a number according to your selection in the property.

----------------
Last in the FillForgrnd cell you make a if formula:
= If(User.NR = 0,RGB(0,0,0),If(User.NR=1,RGB(10,10,10),RGB(255,255,255)))

-----------------
If you need more than the 3 different colors, you should look at Chris article which you can adapt to work for you.