Re-order User rows and Shape Data rows in the ShapeSheet

Started by Visio Guy, April 22, 2008, 09:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visio Guy

It would be nice to be able to grab User-cells and move them around, like in Microsoft Excel. When developing complicated shapes, it really helps to group similar cells together, and to order them according to calculation steps, progression of complexity, etc.

Shape Data (custom properties) has the SortKey cell, which helps users in the UI, but still makes it a bear for developer's to see what they're working with.

As a shape is developed, it inevitably gets more features that weren't foreseen when the User- and Shape Data rows were originally created; row re-ordering would really help organization and make Smart Shape development easier!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

visProcessEng

I agree.

Just for the record there are VBA macros for this, or as I understand if, you can save your shape as a XML file and manipulate it as desired and then reopen it. 

Please let me know if you would like additional information.

This of course does not excuse MS from making what is an obvious improvement.  (so long as they don't screw up the platform in the process).