Newb needs help with Shapes

Started by chrishem, January 05, 2010, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrishem

Hello!

I'm trying to edit a shape that came with Visio 2007.
Specifically, it's the "Patch panel.3" shape.

When you resize the shape, it changes the "U" size ("U" are rackmount increments of rack-mountable gear, each "U" is equal to 1.75 inches).

I'm trying to understand how Visio knows how to set the "U" size when I change the shape's height.
I also am trying to understand how to break this shape down.
Currently, it has a minimum size of 2U, and I'd like to make a version of this shape with 1U as an option.
I've unlinked the shape from its master, and ungrouped it, but I still cannot seem to figure out how to further break the shape down.

I've searched the forums here and can't seem to [quickly] find an answer that quite fits my question.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

pentala

Hi chrishem - I'm also trying to do some work with the Visio Rack shapes. In particular, I'm trying to work out how to replace the alignment box on a master shape once I have edited the shape - strangley enough I have also been trying to edit the patch panel shape in order to create a 1u 24 port panel...

Can anyone help with alignment box issues, specifically when used with the Visio rack shapes?

Andy.

wapperdude

This shape is limited to a minimum of 2U because at 1U, the interior shapes will exceed the boundaries.  For reference, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829242.  This article suggests a couple of work-arounds.   :o

But, if you want to eliminate the restriction, this can be done in the shapesheet.  In the Custom Properties section, edit the formula in the Value cell for the Prop.UCount row.  The formula is:  BOUND(2,0,FALSE,2,25), and may be changed to BOUND(1,0,FALSE,1,25).  This allows a 1U height, but, the results will be unacceptable.   :P

Another possibility is to look for 1U shapes provided by outside sources.  You can Google Visio patch panel, or you can visit various stencil sites, including: http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm, http://www.visiocafe.com, or specific vendors like Cisco, etc.   8)

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

chrishem

@wapperdude: I'd actually already stumbled into the BOUND() settings, and attempted what you suggested.  I found, as you did, that the results were unacceptable.

So, now I'm curious:  How do I create my own shape, that still auto-sizes on the "U"-scale when resized?
Alternatively: How do I edit the existing shape to remove the second row of connectors?

Thanks again,
-Chris

pentala

Chris,

Think I may have got this working... If you edit the master shape for the patch panel, select the panel Edit > Open Group, then click on the shape until you select the objects you want to edit. Window > Show Shapesheet.
If you then look down the shapesheet you will see a number of sections - geometry nn, where nn ranges from 01 to 48, these relate to the patch ports top left, bottom right
1-6,13-18 etc
7-12,19-24 etc
You can then right click on the 'Geometrynn.NoFill : FALSE' and select delete section - you should see that part of the shape disappear!

Hope this help,

Andy.

pentala

I've uploaded a copy of what I have managed to do so far.....feel free to have a play.

Andy.

chrishem

Great Job, Andy!
Only complaint is that it still says "2U" off to the left of the panel!

wapperdude

Try this.  Andy was faster than me.
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Quote from: chrishem on January 05, 2010, 09:32:34 PM
Great Job, Andy!
Only complaint is that it still says "2U" off to the left of the panel!

If you now apply the formula changes recommended by Wapperdude ...
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

pentala

Wapperdude,

How did you change the alignment box? (Assuming thats the correct name - the green box that appears when you click on the shape)?

Andy.

wapperdude

Easier to show than to explain, see attached. 

Basically, when you 1st add a shape to the line, it needs to be correct height, but should be no longer than the line itself.  Then, after grouping & freezing the size of the selection box, the shape may be resized to the correct width.

HTH
Wapperdude.
Visio 2019 Pro