Need to delete two custom properties fields in several shapes at one time

Started by JessicaRose, June 11, 2008, 06:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessicaRose

I just upgraded to Visio 2007.  Basically, I am using export wizard to create a database for a number of stencil files we have.  What we have is several files that hold symbols that contain information to created a bill of materials, when our designers use our stencils to make designs.  I am able to go through and change pricing, etc. to update the stencil files which is great.  What I am needing to do is go into these hundreds of stencils and update them by deleting two custom properties fields.  I do not want to do this individually.  I tried exporting only the fields I need into the excel database, but when I import the database back in or refresh, it does not get rid of these two fields.  Is there a way to delete these fields throughout the whole stencil file at one time?? 

Lars-Erik

You could take a look @
http://www.larserikmiedema.nl/blog/2008/06/11/mass-changing-of-your-stencils-masters/

The article explains how to ORDER the custom properties, you can however change this into deleting them. If you need to find out how to code the deletion of a property, you can use the macro recorder to record a macro when you delete it, that should show the code used.

- Lars

Visio Guy

Hi JR,

If you are going to use code to edit your masters, then please follow the technique in this article:

Edit Visio Masters Programmatically...the Right Way!

Also, you mentioned "import wizard" and "export wizard". Are you talking about data, or reports? It is not 100% clear.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Lars-Erik

JessicaRose

Quote from: Visio Guy on June 11, 2008, 07:47:47 PM
Hi JR,

If you are going to use code to edit your masters, then please follow the technique in this article:

Edit Visio Masters Programmatically...the Right Way!

Also, you mentioned "import wizard" and "export wizard". Are you talking about data, or reports? It is not 100% clear.

I am exporting the shape data, so I can, for example adjust 50 item numbers or prices in the excel data base and then import them back into visio to quickly adjust my stencil file.  It takes way too long for me to change custom prop individually

Lars-Erik

Have you considered just linking the excel data to the shapes? instead of importing / exporting them ?

- Lars

JessicaRose

Quote from: Lars-Erik on June 11, 2008, 08:21:45 PM
Have you considered just linking the excel data to the shapes? instead of importing / exporting them ?

- Lars
I was wondering about that. The company has been running off of 2003, and I just got the 2007 version today and saw the linking feature.  We are all kind of new to creating the database, etc.  They design cable systems with visio and are just now putting "intelligence" behind everything and none of us have experience with that and they gave me the task :)  I will try some of these things tonight and see if it solves the problem.  Thanks!