How do I use "search and replace" programmatically?

Started by eggmatters, June 09, 2008, 07:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggmatters

Hello all, I am scripting some seemingly trivial Visio automation in Perl. I have a module that but calls the same object library as VB, just a slightly different calling syntax. I merely want to write some code that calls the find and replace functionality in Visio to do just that. I've found a code sample in word but it doesn't work in Visio. I tried to record a new macro but it just did a character by character replacement without calling find. The following (in Perl) is what all I have to work with:

my $Visio = Win32::OLE->new('Visio.Application', 'Quit');
my $VDocs = $Visio->Documents;
my $VDoc = $VDocs->Open("$path$vfile");

my $findText = "Text to find";
my $replaceText "Text to replace it with";

my $search = $VDoc->Content->Find;
my $replace = $search->Replacement;

$search->{Text} = $findText;
$replace->{Text} = $replaceText;
$search->Execute({Replace => wdReplaceAll});

In VB, the "->" are dots, the my's are dims, the $ sign tells PERL it's a variable, and the '{}' brackets tell Perl that this data is pointed to by an object (as a hash) if that helps at all.

The OLE complains, of course, when it encounters wdReplaceAll since that is specific to a word document. vsoReplaceAll or visReplaceAll don't exist and  my object browser can't find anything remotely near 'Execute() although the OLE parser doesn't seem to mind (It will run if I pass no arguments to execute)

Any help would be appreciated. Code samples in a more Microsoft friendly language like VB or C# are, of course, entirely acceptable.

Visio Guy

Hi eggmatters,

The automation model between Word and Visio can be quite different. I don't think that Visio exposes its search/replace functionality to programmers.

Visio does have an .xml file format option (.vdx) which you might be able to exploit, however.

- Chris
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

eggmatters

Hmm, I'm curious because that kind of violates the whole Component Object Model type of thing. Also, you can do it from the front end, why not the back? I was trying to use a Perl regex for this but thought a simple OLE call would be easier. Funny you should mention the .xml schema since that was where I started. I had some really volatile code with that though and COM was much cleaner to at least get the data (Text values in shapes) and reduced my code by 100 lines. I am now in the process of translating this guy's: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30355600/visio-2003--custom-prope.aspx

code into Perl. My little object browser no longer works now though. I think there's a brute force way of doing it by setting character by character. We'll see. That will be a process I'd rather avoid. Thanks for your feedback. I'll let you know what I find. Do you guys a need for any Perl crossover for Visio development? I'm going to be doing a lot of it in the next few months

Visio Guy

Hi em,

Well the code-link that you sent shows walking the shapes in a Visio page and analyzing their text. This isn't a "search capability" per-se, but it will get the job done.

Keep in mind that shapes can have various levels of nesting. A shape can be a group that contains shapes...that contain more shapes...

To look inside a shape, just look at its .Shapes property:

If shp.Shapes.Count > 0 Then

For Each shpSub as Visio.Shape in shp.shapes

'...do something

Next shpSub

End If

I'm curious, why are you writing perl code for Visio? (I don't know much about perl...)
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010